Frontline Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frontline Question

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultFrontline Question

(1) In Minnesota
    (2) Tick season should be over, in my opinion
    (3) Last Frontline applied Sept 15th
    (4) Found tick on HK tonight. Was not there last night, as least not in that spot.

Anyone else found ticks on a dog being treated with Frontline?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Frontline Question

Was it bit in or just loose? I have found the occasional tick on Kody while using Frontline, but they were just walking on him, not bit in.

By the way, anytime I find a tick actually bit into the skin, I tape it to an index card and write down the date and location of the body it was found on. This way if any symptoms or problems arise we have the information. I keep them for a couple of months.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Never thought of keeping it and just flushed it. I like the idea though if there is a next time.

The tick had latched on. Wasn't engorged, easy to pulll off, and I got the whole head. I thought it was a repellent and was surprised to find it.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I've been using Frontline on Tal ever since I've had him and never found any ticks. I can't use Advantix even if I wanted to because it is harmful to cats.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I've found ticks on Angus while he was on Frontline and/or Advantix. Not a lot, just occasionally. I think it happens. :-\

Maybe it takes them a while to die after they bite...

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Yes, yes, yes ... they can definitely get ticks while on Frontline. Frontline won't prevent them but says the ticks will die within 48 hours. I've found embedded ones on Shelby while on Frontline. In terms of Minnesota, I'm not sure, but this is actually the height of tick season in the northeast. As long as the weather is above freezing (and almost anytime during the *winter* that it gets above freezing), there is tick activity.

Katies Mom is offline Senior Member

Katie has been on Frontline Plus since day one. She has lymes disease after finding 7 engorged ticks on her Easter weekend. The vet said it is almost like our antibiotics anymore, not being effective. We had our lawn treated because the ticks are everywhere with the wildlife bringing them onto the property. I feel so bad, like I let her down.

meandclint is offline Senior Member

Frontline is designed to kill ticks after the tick bites the dog. In the first 7 - 10 days after application it does work to "repel" ticks as well however the real benefit is that when the tick bites it dies within 24 hours which does not give it time to expel harmful toxins (that cause Lyme's, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and Erlyciosis) into your dog's bloodstream. So a tick can still bite and become engorged and then die and drop off. You can find ticks biting the dog or on the floor dead. Also Frontline is recommended for every 4 - 6 weeks so if your dog had an application on 9/15 then it's due for another.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I use Frontline, but not every month. I put cedar chips in the yard where the dogs like to lie down. (about 6 bags/year) I can't remember the last time I saw a flea or tick on any of them. (NE Ohio)

Quote Originally Posted by WigWag
    Frontline is designed to kill ticks after the tick bites the dog. In the first 7 - 10 days after application it does work to "repel" ticks as well however the real benefit is that when the tick bites it dies within 24 hours which does not give it time to expel harmful toxins (that cause Lyme's, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and Erlyciosis) into your dog's bloodstream. So a tick can still bite and become engorged and then die and drop off. You can find ticks biting the dog or on the floor dead. Also Frontline is recommended for every 4 - 6 weeks so if your dog had an application on 9/15 then it's due for another.
    Actually, this is what the company says:

Do fleas and ticks have to bite my pet for FRONTLINE Brand Products to work?
    Fleas and ticks do not have to bite your pet for FRONTLINE Brand Products to work. FRONTLINE Brand Products kill fleas and ticks if they simply come into contact with your pet's hair coat. The fleas will die within 18 hours of contact with your treated pet, and ticks will die within 48 hours.
    Given that's the case, it is enough time to transmit Lyme (not sure about the other tick related diseases), because my understanding is that a tick can transmit Lyme in under 48 hours (some places say 12 - 24, others say up to 48).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast