Tal Growled Tonight!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tal Growled Tonight!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultTal Growled Tonight!

So I'm sitting here at the computer and Tal is lying beside me happily chewing his bully stick I gave him just cuz

Anyway, all the sudden I hear him growl and look and Midnight is there staring at the bully stick in Tal's mouth. I called Tal's name in my no nonsense STOP THAT voice and he did. I then got up and took his bully stick, had him sit and gave it back to him. No issues there. Tal doesn't even do that when Midnight is around his food. And he has NEVER been food possessive with me or Midnight. So I wasn't sure what to make of that.

Probably nothing because there are no other signs plus he was anything but aggressive when I took it from him. He offered no resistance when I removed the bully stick from his mouth.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tal Growled Tonight!

Midnight is your cat, or your other dog?

Dogs work on a scale of 'valuable-ness' with food... A dog that may never consider guarding his bowl of kibble or a milkbone cookie, may start tensing up with a peanut butter kong. Bully sticks, rawhides, pigs ears, marrow bones, etc are sky high on the value scale, and will often be protected accordingly.

If all Tal did was growl at Midnight, I'd ignore it. If you start correcting/punishing the growl, Tal may stop vocalising - but there's a chance he may still guard, silently - moving right to a snap or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    Midnight is your cat, or your other dog?

Dogs work on a scale of 'valuable-ness' with food... A dog that may never consider guarding his bowl of kibble or a milkbone cookie, may start tensing up with a peanut butter kong. Bully sticks, rawhides, pigs ears, marrow bones, etc are sky high on the value scale, and will often be protected accordingly.

If all Tal did was growl at Midnight, I'd ignore it. If you start correcting/punishing the growl, Tal may stop vocalising - but there's a chance he may still guard, silently - moving right to a snap or worse.
    Midnight is my cat. Yeah all he did was growl. Made no effort to move, snap, or anything else. And now they are playing as usual.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I've got three dogs here, and there's often jockeying when there's a valuable treat involved - Tris will try to steal Soph's, or vice versa (no one steals queen kaylie's ) - much growling and snarling. I ignore it unless it goes on too long- and then I will tell the dog who's causing the growl to move it along. (Ie if soph is harassing Tris, then Soph gets redirected to her own treat, or if she's REALLY being obnoxious, its crate time.

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    I've got three dogs here, and there's often jockeying when there's a valuable treat involved - Tris will try to steal Soph's, or vice versa (no one steals queen kaylie's ) - much growling and snarling. I ignore it unless it goes on too long- and then I will tell the dog who's causing the growl to move it along. (Ie if soph is harassing Tris, then Soph gets redirected to her own treat, or if she's REALLY being obnoxious, its crate time.
    Thanks! And come to think of it...when he growled it wasn't even a very threatening growl or at least it didn't sound that way to me. Just kind of a warning to back off cuz this is mine and you can't have it

georgie is offline Senior Member

He may have just been letting Midnight know it's his & to back off. I think Tal knows the pecking order in your home.

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    He may have just been letting Midnight know it's his & to back off. I think Tal knows the pecking order in your home.
    ya...plus I've always been careful to make sure each of them has their space...I've never let Midnight eat out of Tal's bowl nor have I allowed Tal to eat out of Midnight's. Of course, anything of mine is fair game for either of them :

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh, the staredown! That's definitely grounds for growling! At least it is in the boys' book.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

imported_delmonico is offline Senior Member

We have had one similar incident around here, Rita was shopping and found some sort of smoked marrow bone, Rowdy did not want any of us near it and growled a little, not a mean growl but still a growl. I took it away from him, handed it to Rita with instrutions to head to the outside trash with it. I flipped Rowdy over int a 'dead cockroach position" and straddled him till his tail curled around and almost touched his nose. He hasn't growled since and he knows who the big dog in this house is.
    Mongrel Historian aka Glen Carman<br />Lincoln Newbrassky<br /><br />Member of POOP: People Offended by Offended People<br /><br /><br /><br />Lexie, are you telling me you want me to get on the couch?

meandclint is offline Senior Member

Anyway, all the sudden I hear him growl and look and Midnight is there staring at the bully stick in Tal's mouth. I called Tal's name in my no nonsense STOP THAT voice and he did. I then got up and took his bully stick, had him sit and gave it back to him. No issues there. Tal doesn't even do that when Midnight is around his food. And he has NEVER been food possessive with me or Midnight. So I wasn't sure what to make of that.
    It's totally normal behavior. Remember growling is a dog's form of communication. True Labrador temperament is that of a dog that is laid back and flexible and thus rarely finds it necessary to growl however in this instance Tal did find it necessary! He was telling Midnight that he did NOT want to share the bully stick. I would have ignored him as well - actually laughed a little - it's okay to tell a cat off every now and then since they think they are the Kings and Queens of our households!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast