Baloo is limping, need some advice please **UPDATED AGAIN**
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baloo is limping, need some advice please **UPDATED AGAIN**

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultBaloo is limping, need some advice please **UPDATED AGAIN**

Update #2: 8:25 AM

He *seems* better this morning, I haven't really seen the limp, I don't think. But it's a little hard to tell because it was most noticeable yesterday when he got up after he'd been laying down for awhile, and this morning he's been mostly walking around. He's tethered to me at the moment and is laying down beside me, so I think I'll have a better idea when he gets up and moves around.

At this time I'm going to hold off on the vet visit, but it's definitely not out of the question. :-\

I'm feeling less panicky, though, so that's good I think.

Thanks to all for the support/advice, it is much appreciated.

UPDATE

So it is now almost 11:00pm and he's still just as bad as he was this morning. I can't tell if it's gotten worse, I don't *think* so. I'm really worried though, not just because of the limp, but because he's literally been sleeping pretty well all day. I haven't even had to try to keep him quiet, which is odd for him. :-[

I'm trying not to freak out, and tell myself that he's just sore and tired, he'll be better soon. I'm trying. Really trying.... :-\

If he's not better in the morning he's going to the vet in the afternoon. I'm not taking a chance by waiting through the weekend. I think I'll go crazy. :-[

Off to bed now. Here's hoping we both get some good sleep.

So we went to the dog park this morning, as per our usual Thursday routine. We stayed a little longer than usual, as I didn't have class today, so we didn't have to get back by a certain time.

So we were there for a few hours, lots of running, wrestling, more chuck-it-ing than usual, as he just seems to have figured out that he is a retriever after all. All is fine and good, no incidents. We get home, Baloo and I have a shower (kills two birds with one stone - don't worry no shampoo for him, just water to wash the mud away. ) Baloo curls up on his bed for a nice long nap, I make tea, get on the laptop.

Then he gets up, and he is limping, I would say pretty heavily, favoring his right front leg. (insert my total freakout here. :-\) this is the first time I have noticed anything out of sorts with him at all since we got home. No limping at the park or before his nap whatsoever.

And then he seems to walk it off, so I thought (read: hoped :-[) maybe he had just stepped funny on that foot, or it had fallen asleep in the position he was laying in, or something.

But he has since had a bunch more naps (been sleeping pretty much all day), and anytime he gets up he limps for the first dozen steps or so.

I can't find any specific area that seems more tender than the others, and I manipulated the leg a little bit and he didn't seem to mind at all.

I have already called our obedience instructor and told her we won't be coming tonight.

What should I do? Cold compress? Heating pad?? Vet first thing tomorrow..??

What do you think happened to him?? Could this be the first signs of ED or something..?? ??? ???

*help please* :-[ :-\

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Baloo is limping, need some advice please

He probably just over did it today. Just let him rest tonight. He'll probably be fine in the morning.

Remington has had a few minor limping incidents, usually when he has body slammed another dog

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

*Pause*....*deep breath*

Everything is going to be a-ok!!!

I'll be willing to bet that he wasn't used to all of the extra time and "chuck-it'ing", and that maybe he pulled a muscle or he's sore.
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Maybe he just overdid it today. My girls have limped on occasion, usually after a bit more exercise. If he pulled a muscle, he may just need to rest it. Hope he feels better in the morning.

labby is offline Senior Member

Rest. Total rest which includes in a crate if you can't keep him quiet. Out on a leash only to potty. No aspirin unless you can give him total crate rest.

Give it a day or two to see how it goes. If it gets worse, then of course take him into the vet.

Laura

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Rest. Total rest which includes in a crate if you can't keep him quiet. Out on a leash only to potty. No aspirin unless you can give him total crate rest.

Give it a day or two to see how it goes. If it gets worse, then of course take him into the vet.
    Agree. This has happened to Theo several times after hard fetching/play, and he's always been fine after a day or two. So don't freak out yet!!

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

i agree with the others. see if a couple of days of rest helps. sending good thoughts that baloo's limp goes away soon.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

*breathing*......

Thanks Stacey, forgot about that for a minute there. :-[

OK. Rest for how long? Until the limp stops, or keep resting for ___ amount of time after it goes away? Do you think aspirin is really necessary? I hadn't thought of that. :-[

I didn't realize how used to treating horses I was until I had to contain the urge to poultice his leg. :-[ :-[ :-[

Oh I hope he's better soon. I Hate hate hate this feeling.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

In addition to what has been said, several hours of full-on retrieving and running is too much for a dog of his age even if it is only once a week. Many puppies will keep going for as long as there is action and unlike what many people say ("let the dog be the judge"/"the dog will stop when it is tired") they WILL push themselves beyond their physical capabilities. You have to be the judge and not the other way around even if you own a very laid back puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    In addition to what has been said, several hours of full-on retrieving and running is too much for a dog of his age even if it is only once a week. Many puppies will keep going for as long as there is action and unlike what many people say ("let the dog be the judge"/"the dog will stop when it is tired") they WILL push themselves beyond their physical capabilities. You have to be the judge and not the other way around even if you own a very laid back puppy.
    This is part of why it sucks so much. Totally my fault. I wouldn't say it was several hours of retrieving...... realistically I was probably there for about 2 hours (maybe a little less), probably about half an hour of that was chuckit-ing (versus his normal 2-3 retrieves max. :-\) A big part of that time was 'niffin and chewin' sticks.

He seemed so into it....... but I shoulda know better. :-[ That was really dumb of me.

Poor baby.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast