What do you think?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think?

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat do you think?

If you were at the park and there were 5 dogs all after your dog. No problem there. But all the dogs are biting his back and grabbing his neck. Would you step in?

Reason I am asking, I have taken notice to Mambo's rude ways at the parks. I am now (never to late) stepping in and taking control of my dog. I don't allow him to Hump, jump (on people) or get to rough with another dog. Just my choice. but I am getting a LOT of bad feedback from others. I have talked about this before. Since than, I have taken Mambo to the park less and even started with more playdates and meetings at other parks.

Anyways, last night. Jerome and I were at the dog park. everyone worked up and very hyper, like always. But now instead of just the one dog I spoke of last time, ALL the dogs are gaining up on Mambo. They aren't biting to hurt, or I don't think so. But it can't feel very good to have so many dogs bititng and tugging on him at once. They wont let him go. You can see him trying to get away. So Jerome stepped in and pulled Mambo from under all the other dogs. We just left. Didn't say anything.

Would you have stepped in? Or are we being to protective?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What do you think?

Based on your description of the situation, I would have done the same thing. The whole point of going there is for Mambo to enjoy himself right? I don't see how being ganged up on relentlessly and not being able to escape would be enjoyable. Is he usually submissive with other dogs? Or is he just easy going?

It sounds like dogs at dog parks can go into pack mentality which means establishing a pack order. They may be telling Mambo he is the bottom dog on the totem pole.

k8show is offline Senior Member

I think you did the right thing. I'm not a dog park fan for that reason. Boo's not exactly a "pack leader" and has gotten into some sticky situations. Playdates and park meetings sound like much more fun!
    Katie and Boo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

One of the reasons why I don't go to dog parks unless its to meet Nicole and Melissa. Other people don't step in and that's how fights happen.

Laura

Ok, for sure not easy going. Mambo is for sure one of the most hyper dogs. He loves to play rough which I allow as long as he is enjoying himself, or of course the other dog is okay. I guess he is submissive, he wont fight back, he normally drops to the ground if he doesn't want to play.

All the dogs there have been playing together for most of there young lives. Seems like some of the behavior kinda just started, or I just started to take notice. Every single dog tries to dominate Mambo, but he allows it. He isn't a fighter at all. I know a lot of it is normal play, but after spending some time at other parks, I have noticed the dogs to not act this way, and if they do the owners step in.

I really thought I am being over protective, but yesterday I didn't say anything to see if jerome would. We use to go to the park everyday, now its about once or twice a week.

Just to add, Really Mambo isn't an angel. We are working on it. He loves to get rough and can hang with the best of them. I just dont like the biting or pack attacking one dog. Mambo has done the same in the past and I always make him stop.

And of course this isn't the normal bitey face, or what I think bitey face is. But maybe I am the once confused.

He is my baby, and of course I want him to stay safe. So it could really just be me. :-\

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

You did the right thing. I would have done the same thing.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

kpowell is offline Senior Member

I see this behavior all the time at the farm where my horses are boarded. There are six dogs--two labs, two lab crosses, a GSD cross, and a golden cross. Often they will all gang up on one of the labs. Whenever it happens in front of a person, we all step in and stop it (through yelling and clapping hands). The lab that is being picked on doesn't seem too worse for the wear afterward (although it bothers me because I think if it were me I'd be feeling awfully sad and lonely).
    Jack's Mom

It doesn't seem to bother Mambo to much, sometimes he whines or yelps. But once I pull everyone away, he is ready to play again. I just do not want to see him hurt. He is only afraid of a few dogs, which is odd, these dogs have nevre done anything to him.

LKG
    LKG is offline Senior Member

Personally I would have done the same thing. I usually think it's best to let dogs work things out on their own, but if it's a matter of one poor dog getting ganged up on I definetely would have stepped in.

For the most part I love going to the dog park, but I find that our park most people like to mill about at the entrance and chat with eachother rather than actually walking on the path through the main park area. This is where most "issues" tend to occur because there are too many dogs, too many people and people are busy chatting rather than keeping an eye on their own dog.... : When I go, I always keep walking and stick to walking in smaller groups as well to avoid any potential confrontations.
    <br /><br />Daisy / June 13, 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast