Traveling issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling issues

Tigger is offline Junior Member

DefaultTraveling issues

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and also a fairly recent Lab owner. I was fortunate enough to have my Lab, Bo, land on my door step. When I found him, or rather he found me, he was dragging 20' of 1/4 boat chain that was tied around his neck with no collar and piece of poly rope holding the chain together around his neck. The rope was digging into his neck and his skin was growing into the chain. He appeared to be abused and hardly fed. No wonder he ran away from his previous owner. Since I've gotten him, he's back to being a healthy and happy dog. He's gone through two heartworm treatments and finally got fixed.

One of my biggest issues with him is traveling in the back of my Bronco. He goes nuts while the truck is moving. At one point, he barked himself into a state of hyperventilation. He barks at almost everything that passes by and continuously jumps back and forth at everything passing by. There isn't enough room for a dog crate in the back due to some modifications on the truck. I've tried blocking out the windows on the side and blocking the view from the front. This helped a bit, but he still gets very excited while the truck is moving. I spoke to the vet and they prescribed a sedative but it didn't faze him.

Any suggestion? I like to take him camping and surf fishing with me but the trip is starting to make me crazy. Thanks for any help.

Tigger.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Traveling issues

My best suggestion is look for a crate that fits and have him ride in that in your truck. Teach your dog to "kennel up" when it's time to drive, and you'll have him safe and secure in the crate. There are many sizes and styles and there must be one that fits. Otherwise, can you do a seatbelt harness and have him ride up front with you?

imported_ChowHound is offline Senior Member

Is he normally okay in a crate?

Have you tried a doggie seat belt? It would give Bo a little more room to move around but still keep him confined.

You might also want to go back to the basics of praising him when he is quiet, and rewarding him (treat) for it.

Lastly, I want to say that you did a wonderful thing by rescuing Bo. Sounds like he has a wonderful life with you!
    <br />~ Laurie &amp; Shelby ~

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

First I must give you mega kudos for rescuing Bo.

You may want to consider finding a dog behaviorist in your area and having them evaluate Bo. There are many reasons for the type of anxiety you are describing and the behaviorist can show you the proper techniques to help Bo over come this. It will take time and patience, but I am sure there is a solution.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I've tried encouragement while he was quiet but that only happens when the truck isn't moving. I've kept toys in the back to keep him occupied and when he does quiet down for a moment, I've praised him, but that was brief and didn't work. I think he's too big (90 lbs) to have in the front seat. I will continue to look for a crate that would fit in the back and at the same time, big enough for him. He does well in his crate at home, but it's not moving around like when he's in the truck. After everything he's been through (abuse & neglect, heartworms, and finally snipped), obedience class is next. I can speak to the instructor about a dog behaviorist then. It's funny, a friend mentioned something about calling the ''Dog Whisperer" and that may be the solution. Thanks again!

imported_ChowHound is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger
    Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I've tried encouragement while he was quiet but that only happens when the truck isn't moving. I've kept toys in the back to keep him occupied and when he does quiet down for a moment, I've praised him, but that was brief and didn't work. I think he's too big (90 lbs) to have in the front seat. I will continue to look for a crate that would fit in the back and at the same time, big enough for him. He does well in his crate at home, but it's not moving around like when he's in the truck. After everything he's been through (abuse & neglect, heartworms, and finally snipped), obedience class is next. I can speak to the instructor about a dog behaviorist then. It's funny, a friend mentioned something about calling the ''Dog Whisperer" and that may be the solution. Thanks again!
    If he's food motivated you could try giving him a frozen, stuffed Kong. That would keep him occupied for at least 20 minutes.

Good luck!
    <br />~ Laurie &amp; Shelby ~

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

I forgot to welcome you to the board in my first post. Welcome to Just Labradors Tigger! 8)

P.S. I am sure we would all love to see photo's of Bo when you get the chance.

Thanks again. I'm working on the pictures. He's not big on posing for a picture, he'd rather have a treat.

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

The others have offered good advice. I just wanted to chime in and say that it's wonderful that you rescued Bo. He's very lucky to have you.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Maybe try desensatizing him to the vehicle it will take some time but should work. It may take two people if possible so one can treat and the other drive. Start just getting in the car and giving lots of treats and praise. Take little steps praising and giving treats when he's calm. Eventually back out of the drive way then back in. Then eventually around the block and work your way up from there.
    Good luck
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast