So as it turns out, everything is okay. No blockage, no pancreatitis, just an upset tummy. They gave him water and a bland meal at the vet and everything stayed where it should. They did warn us about the possibility of diarrehea, but so far so good. Bland meals for a couple more meals and then we can try kibble again. Yay!! I still wonder if it wasn't the Rimadyl.
Everything was fine after last week's trip to the vet for limping. The vet put him on Rimadyl for seven days. He had a fairly active weekend and didn't limp once. Monday morning he had his normal breakfast and about an hour later threw it up. Before I could react he tried it again and threw it up again. I thought it odd and cautioned the family from giving him treats during the day and planned on making him chicken and rice when I got home. He apparently threw up sporadically during the day, but just foam. I was delayed at work so he got his dinner about 2-1/2 hours later than normal. I boiled a chicken breast and some rice and added cottage cheese. He ate it all and then about an hour later threw it up. He sleeps in our room so I heard him getting up and retching a few times during the night. He kept water down fine. Tuesday morning I gave the rest of the crew their breakfast and have BJ a very small piece of dehydrated chicken which he kept down for about an hour. I was begining to wonder if it was the Rimadyl so I called the vet as soon as they openned. Our regular vet is on vacation so they took a message and said they would have one of the other vets call me back. When it got to be 3 pm and no call, I called again. They said I should bring him in so we made an appointment for 4:30. We were there until after 7. At first they thought it might be the Rimadyl as it can cause liver problems in some labs but the blood work came back fine and he doesn't have a temperature. They then began to suspect a blockage so they took an xray. They didn't see a blockage, but they saw something and asked to do an ultrasound. They saw suspicious pockets of gas in places that they shouldn't be. Then they debated whether or not he should stay there. The internist is worried that he swallowed something like a needle that has punctured his stomach, but I don't know where he would have gotten one unless it is a very thin piece of wood (he loves to chew sticks and tanbark). So he came home last night, a very unhappy boy in a snazzy new Halloween bandana. No food or water last night; they injected fluids under his skin to keep him hydrated, he looked like a camel. No food again this morning but he can have the occasional ice cube. He (and I) were up and down all night. His tummy is making burlbling, squeeking noises. We take him back in at 11:45 and they are going to do another ultrasound.
Poor baby, he is not a happy boy right now. I just hope that this is not going to be something that requires surgery to correct. Keep a happy thought for BJ today, please!
Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart
Poor boy. Good thoughts that the vet figures out what is causing problems.
Poor guy. Lots of good thoughts for BJ & you.
Awww...poor baby! Keeping you in my thoughts and hoping for a good day today.
Oh poor BJ. I hope everything turns out okay.
Poor BJ. Lots of good thoughts for BJ & You. I hope they find what's wrong w/him soon.
oh poor BJ, i hope the appt today shows nothing serious, and good thoughts going out to you guys!
Sure hope the vets find out what it wrong with BJ. Hope your feeling better guy.
Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.
Poor BJ -- he's been through the ringer! Hope your vet is able to get a firm diagnosis and that BJ will be on the mend soon.
Please update after your vet visit.
I bet it's just the Rimadyl. NSAIDs can cause GI issues in some dogs (totally unrelated to liver issues). I have a foster dog who was on Rimadyl for pain after spay surgery and threw up every time she ate. As soon as she was off Rimadyl, she stopped throwing up. Maybe see if you can try one of the other NSAIDs instead like Metacam.