What would you do? (dogsitting question)

Thread: What would you do? (dogsitting question)

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat would you do? (dogsitting question)

We're going away this weekend for a wedding. Abby and Molly are staying with my cousin and her boyfriend...and their almost 3 year old chocolate lab Riley.

Riley is a chewer, I'm not sure exactly what he chews or the situations he chews in (lol). I don't want Abby and Molly not to have toys, so should I send some over that are some of our tough toys or just not send any? I know when they go to work on Friday and half day Saturday, that Abby and Molly are going to be in their finished basement so maybe I could ask Jenn (cousin) to keep the toys down there so they can at least play with them then.

I'm actually leaning towards the "tough toys" (ie: kong and empty marrow bones), or maybe some of their older toys that it wouldn't be a big deal if he chewed them up.

What would you do?

Oh and yes I know I'm over thinking this. I hate having to leave them behind
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What would you do? (dogsitting question)

Leave a tougher toy that is "safer" but do not expect to see it when you pick them up. If my dog were a chewer though I would probably limit the time the toy is out - from fear of my dog destroying it and my having to buy a new one. That's just me (and in my case Rocky is NOT a chewer)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I think I'd be like Tanya. I'd leave the tougher toys but I'd be prepared to have to purchase some new ones tho.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

I go through this every time I have a new foster that is a chewer. My latest foster basically goes on a chew and destroy mission with most of Ellie's toys.

As far as I am concerned, I am much happier with him chewing and destroying the toys than chewing and destroying my possessions. That is why I buy the toys. None of our dog toys are in their original state, but they are still around. He even chews up kongs.

But, like I said, better to replace a $10 kong than a $500 sofa!!

Send over the tough toys, but don't expect to get them back.

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the advice so far

I think I will send the tough toys.

I called them to ask what exactly he chews. The things they say he chews are stuffies, squeaky balls, and rope toys. He has a kong and they only give that to him for the time he's destuffing it and they said they would be more then happy to stuff Abby and Molly's as well. So that's a plus.

Gosh I'm going to miss them Thursday night through Sunday Morning seems like an eternity
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I don't think it matters either way. They will live without toys for a few days.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I don't think it matters either way. They will live without toys for a few days.
    As the result of her surgery last Wednesday, NO TOYS for Hershey Kisses. Nothing for her to chew on, hard or soft. No retrieves, not even a sock inside. Well that was for the first 5 days. Spent a lot of time outside trying to get her to run in circles to burn off energy. Not easy for a 62 year old. AND have to keep the infinite supply of twigs and branches out of her mouth. That was generally when I gave up and took her inside. She can now have soft toys (stuffies) as long as they aren't big enough for her to hold in her paws and pull with her mouth. (And not be able to swallow whole?)

She is surviving, but this 9 month old is driving me nuts. Two more weeks.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.