Buying a puppy from a different state
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a puppy from a different state

cherokee is offline Junior Member

DefaultBuying a puppy from a different state

After years of looking, we are finally in a position to get a dog and have decided to get a chocolate lab, he is 5 weeks old right now but will be available on Nov 1st. The only thing that bothers me is he is in Minnesota and i am in NY. How many of you have had puppies shipped to you?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Buying a puppy from a different state

No experience with this but others have had puppies shipped to them and everything was good. Hopefully some of them will see this and respond!

BTW...congrats on your new puppy and looking forward to hearing about all the new adventures! Also, lots of pics required!

What made you go with this breeder? I'd imagine there are plenty of puppies in the NY area where you could meet the breeder face to face, meet their dogs, and see where your puppy's starting off first hand.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cherokee is offline Junior Member

The fact that she breeds the best chocolate labs i have seen, plus most of the breeders in NY are not planning on a chocolate this year, this is her website:
    http://www.smithfarmslabradors.com/index.html
    Sheriff is the father and Ruby is the mother. she seemed very nice to talk to and the pup comes with a written health guarantee, not that it matters.

Thanks for the replies.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Do you know if she does health clearances (hips, eyes, elbows) on the bitches/dogs? I didn't see anything about that on the site.....

Have you already bought the dog, or are you just considering her as a possibility?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

georgie is offline Senior Member

They are some beautiful looking labs. I just wonder....is this normal to have that many labs? It seems like alot to me. I saw the health guarentee but do the dogs have all their clearences? Good luck picking your pup.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I checked OFA and neither parent is in the database. Have you asked the breeder why the parents do not have their OFA clearances? What is your goal with the puppy (family, hunting, performance, etc.)? Neither parent has any titles. How does the breeder choose which dogs become her breeding stock? It also seems that the parents are crosses between show and field Labs several generations back, which can produce quite varied looking offspring.

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee
    The fact that she breeds the best chocolate labs i have seen, plus most of the breeders in
    Have you actually seen these dogs? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just many people nowdays know how to make a nice website...and I wouldn't buy anything from most of them Neither parents are listed on offa.org which is the organization that grades hips and elbows as well as records other health clearances. The fact that there is no mention to these clearances on the webpages either leave sme to believe that they haven't been done. Buying a puppy from parents with no clearances is taking quite a chance and most people believe that chance would be better taken on a rescue puppy. To give money to an irresponsible breeder is a bad choice. Where abouts are you in NY? I can try to point you to some breeders if you'd like.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    They are some beautiful looking labs. I just wonder....is this normal to have that many labs? It seems like alot to me. I saw the health guarentee but do the dogs have all their clearences? Good luck picking your pup.
    THIRTY DOGS! I know I posted this awhile back and that it DOES depend on the situation (some people can deal with lots of dogs and they are all happy) but he has 20 gals and 10 boys. Hopefully those include some co-owns and those that live with others

They do speak abit of OFA and hip/cerf info for the pups. It's too bad they do not tell you the grades of their breeding stock NOR their titles (they have dogs from LINES with champions!)

Why are the females $100 more than the males? (There is a limited registration so it's not like you can breed them)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    They do speak abit of OFA and hip/cerf info for the pups
    The only place I see mention of OFA is if YOUR puppy has a problem, YOU have to have OFA look at the xrays for their guarantee. Nothing about their dogs having any health testing done.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast