Fleas: 1. Angus: 0

Thread: Fleas: 1. Angus: 0

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultFleas: 1. Angus: 0

We officially surrendered in our battle with fleas tonight. :-\

To recap: Dog Day on Saturday. All kinds of dogs, kept at all levels of care. Found a flea on Angus Saturday night. Then three more. Then another the next day after their Neem oil application. Off to the dog wash, got a thorough flea shampoo, carpeted the house with diatomaceous earth (to the point that there is a thin layer on every single surface and Kevin is about ready to strangle me). Then, I watched and waited.

Tonight: More flea dirt, and another flea.

Uncle.

:-\

I didn't particularly want to, but I went ahead and dosed them with Advantix. This should fix it in 12 hours. Now, we can only hope the diatomaceous earth will not fail us. :-[

So, we tried. This will be the last dose they'll have this year, until spring of next year.

What I did learn is, Advantix works a lot longer than one month. I can only assume that the Neem oil hasn't been working, and we were riding on residual protection from their last dose. They last had Advantix on the first of July. Apparently their protection ran out about the first of October. About three months or 90 days, which jives with what I saw mentioned in several posts today in the Frontline thread.

So, the new plan is this: Advantix again in the spring, maybe midsummer, and another in the fall. I'm thinking that should do it. I'd love to not have to do it at all, but we can't have fleas going to shows (one coming up this weekend). And we certainly can't have them in the house.

I'm sad. I really wanted it to work!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Fleas: 1. Angus: 0

had tick problems here .....

found one each on 2 of my pups.....I tried to handle it naturally also but can't have fleas and ticks in the house so we are on to Advantix also

Oh rats, Connie!!

I know how disappointed you must be!! Well, if it's any consolation, my parents' dog, who is only monthly flea preventatives, still got fleas and scratched himself two very lovely hot spots.

Prayers that all those fleas DIE a painful death.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sorry you had to resort to the Advantix. Hopefully Angus will be flea-free by morning!

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

We're Neem flunkies too

Tried it, worked for a while - but here we have so many feral cats the fleas were winning the battle. Jake has allergy problems with frontline, so I got advantage and just used half a dose on him. Fleas died, he stopped itching, I could finally relax and stop feeling things crawling on me I'm going to do the one spring, one summer, one fall schedule until we move out of flea central.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

meandclint is offline Senior Member

What I did learn is, Advantix works a lot longer than one month. I can only assume that the Neem oil hasn't been working, and we were riding on residual protection from their last dose. They last had Advantix on the first of July. Apparently their protection ran out about the first of October. About three months or 90 days, which jives with what I saw mentioned in several posts today in the Frontline thread.
    No this is not what my vet told me. He said that Frontline begins to dissipate after about 2 weeks and can last up to about 6 weeks however with fleas they are much more resilient than ticks and require a higher dose to kill them and render eggs sterile and so if fleas are present in the house then you must dose the dogs every 3 - 4 weeks for 3 straight months.

The eggs that the fleas have laid over the last few days will hatch in about 3 weeks and so you will have more around then and the Advantix won't be strong enough to kill them. :-\