So I spoke to the Vet it is a LUXATING PATELLA

Thread: So I spoke to the Vet it is a LUXATING PATELLA

DefaultSo I spoke to the Vet it is a LUXATING PATELLA

Ok so to follow up from my post over the weekend,( I dont know how to go back and update it in the original post)

I spoke to the vet today and Sammys issue is that he has a Luxating Patella, she says if he is showing no signs of discomfort we can just watch it but she did give me a supplement to start him on because it makes me feel better that Im doing something. Hes on "Synovi G3 Soft Chews" they have Glucosamine, Creatine, Omega 3 Fatty Acids. Hopefully this will help some. Anyone ever heard of this brand?? Is there anything else I should watch for? Other than limping or acting strange with that leg?? Thanks for everyones help in advance!
    Christine and Sammy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: So I spoke to the Vet it is a LUXATING PATELLA

I was thinking that might be what you were dealing with. Make sure you keep him lean too. Do a Google on it and you should find some good info out there.

Laura

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Disclaimer: What I am about to post comes from what I know of luxating Patellas as they are known to minpins. This may not be applicable to labs at all. :P

Luxating Patellas come in grades, 1-4 I believe. Grade 1 means that the vet can manipulate the knee cap out of it's socket, but it pops right back in by itself. Up to grade 4, which is where the kneecap pops out by itself, and often won't go back in by itself. (Grade 4 cases usually require surgical correction.) Grades 2 and 3 are in between those two.

From what I know, it's helpful to have controlled exercise, as strengthening the muscles around that area will help to secure the knee cap in place. Activities like swimming are great for it. Also a nice even trot. Try not to let him overdo it with a lot of high-impact activities. (excessive running, frisbee, etc.)

I would also supplement with glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM as well as what you have already. Can't hurt, might help.

Good luck with him.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks so much for the comments. I plan to do a Google search and see what I can find out regarding the occurrence of this issue in Labs. Unfortunately, my SAM hates the water and wont go near the pool. I need to try to see what else I can find that is similar to swimming for him to do.

Anyone with any experience with this, I would love to hear from you. ThankS!