Dang you dogsindanger.com....thinking about rescuing...advice? *UPDATED AT TOP*
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dang you dogsindanger.com....thinking about rescuing...advice? *UPDATED AT TOP*

JeffG is offline Senior Member

DefaultDang you dogsindanger.com....thinking about rescuing...advice? *UPDATED AT TOP*

He was adopted yesterday!

Well, I even said it myself...I wished somebody would adopt him as to take the pressure off of us...but, I was really looking forward to getting him. He seemed like such a perfect fit! Now, since we weren't ever looking for a dog in the first place...I know we won't get one now and our next dog is gonna be a "small" dog on the request of my wife! : But hopefully I'll be able to get Ty a lab-brother/sister someday. Thanks all so much for the advice and well wishes...hopefully I'll get one someday!

Okay, if you've seen my other post in the dogsindanger.com thread, I'm very mildly considering rescueing a 2 yr old lab set to be killed next Tuesday. Heres his link if anyone is interested...
    http://www.dogsindanger.com/dog.jsp?did=1191440288195

K, i've done some searches on adding a 2nd lab. I've gotten a little info, but it seems like msot of the time when somebody is adding a 2nd they are getting a puppy. What about adding an older dog? Ty just turned 1 year old. "Chip" is estimated to be 2-3 years old. I'm just pulling my hair out right now about it. I'd love for Ty to FINALLY have a like-sized dog to play with (the time of his life was when he met a choc lab at my MIL's for about an hour....since then, he's never played with another like-sized dog). I'd love the companionship they'd provide each other. I'm worried about, will Ty become jealous? Feel like he was replaced? I love Ty to death, will my feelings change about him with another dog?

I know the obvious of twice the food, twice the toys, twice the vet bills, POOP, etc....if you could do it over again would you? Did the house get twice as hard to keep clean? Any advice is greatly appreciated....

I just really wish somebody would adopt him so I can get this outa my head!

Also, this might not be relevant...but we'll probably be starting our 2-legged family within the next 2-3 years. They should be calmed down enough for that right? Plus, I've heard its double the heartache if you have two dogs close in age...as they will pass around the same time. Something else to consider?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Dang you dogsindanger.com....thinking about rescuing...advice?

Awww, I say go for it. We used to be a two-dog household (had to put my older guy down :'( ) and I miss it so much! Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love playing with Riley, but when Garth was here, they played just about constantly!!! Now I don't get my work done because I don't want Riley to be lonely - DH isn't quite ready for a new pup yet.

I don't think Ty will be jealous, I think he will thank you for bringing a brother home for him! Good luck with whatever you decide!

We adopted Freckles when Duke was about two and Freckles about one. They have established there own rules and get along great but it's always wise to have the first introduction at a neutral site then bring them home together. Though hard to do to avoid any jealously issues you should not show any extra favor to either dog but treat then equally with affection and discipline. After an initial get acquainted period you should be able to sit back and watch them wear each other out playing.
    It may be twice the expense but to me it's twice the enjoyment having my two.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hunter is offline Senior Member

been a 2 dog family for the past 7 years. Couple years ago Garth passed away and we adopted Duke from a rescue, we think he was 8 months to a year, my other Lab was around 5 at the time. Other than a couple of skirmishes in the beginning they quickly settled in with each other and respect each others space.

Since I am out of the house for more than 8 hours a day I wanted another 2 dogs that would keep each other company, they do play with each other, but I still have to play with each one individually, as Labs do want that human intervention as much as possible. Hunter still gets jealous if he thinks I am paying to much attention to Duke and will come over, shove Duke out of the way and sit by my feet.

I really do not think it is twice the work, since I have to walk one dog, might as well walk two. It is more costly on food and vet bills, but nothing to that bad, maybe an additional $500 a year.

Chip is a very good looking guy and looks very happy, from the comments it looks like he would be able to fit into any type of household, the only thing you can do is try. At least you may be able to give him a few more days of happiness.

If you are ready, I say go for it and thank you for considering rescue!! I adopted Jake when he was 5 years old; Zena was 2; Dutch was 9 months. Please keep us posted!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I say go for it. I love having two, and no, my feelings for the first one didn't change. If anything I love her more.

How dogs deal with kids greatly depends on how you deal with introducing them, and the training you do around it. Not so much on age/activity level, etc.

Good luck!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

You make some very valid points, all of them. Twice the bills, yes it definitely is twice as dirty around our place, yes there is a chance they will go close together therefore twice the heartbreak.

But yes, I'd do it all over again. Absolutely.

We adopted Simon when he was a bit older, about seven months. I HIGHLY, highly recommend going with an older dog. At that time I just couldn't go through puppyhood again. Angus just about killed me. It was so much easier with Simon. We had to work a little on potty-training, but it was no big deal at all. Had a few accidents, and much of it can probably be attributed to what we later found out was a UTI.

I love that they are company for each other. It helped Angus tremendously with his manners to have another dog to bounce things off of. Mine are within six months of each other, so I will have two seniors at the same time. Not ideal, but when you fall in love, what can you do?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Oh my goodness, just saw his picture. Please go get him! He's beautiful! He's too gorgeous to die. :'(

Sorry, just made me a little emotional... :-\

Connie and "The Boys":

JeffG is offline Senior Member

Thanks all for the advice so far!! Its alot to think about...we are thinking about driving up on Sunday. So its suggested that we bring Ty along right if we do?

Ha AngusFangus, I know...he does look very handsome and I just can't think about him being put to sleep with those big kind eyes wondering why........

OKAY I NEED TO STOP before i drive up there right now...

Yes, a lot of places suggest bringing your dog to see if they get on well. It wouldn't be a bad idea. You could at least see if they seem interested in one another.

But remember, you will have to get both of them back home too. Is your vehicle two-dog friendly, if a rousing game of bitey-face breaks out in the back seat? Something to think about.

We didn't take Angus down to meet Simon. I just picked who I liked and went with the attitude of, "Angus will learn to love him." :P And he did. They are such good buds now. It was a bit touchy the first few months, and we had a couple of bad scuffles, but they have definitely learned how to play each other.

If Angus can do it, I'm POSITIVE Ty can. No one had worse manners than Angus. :

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast