Talking about idiots.....

Thread: Talking about idiots.....

meandclint is offline Senior Member

DefaultTalking about idiots.....

Funny that being out and about and running into idiots came up the other day because I met one this morning! We take the dogs to a local orchard frequently - they have a nice pond near a field and walking trails. On occasion I have seen someone else there with their dog or having a picnic but going on a weekday morning I rarely see anyone the whole time we are there even on the walking trails. Today we pulled in and there were three cars parked and I could see someone down by the pond. There is an ajacent field and pumpkin patch and apple trees so we park there and get out. Okay I have a HUGE camera around my neck and two dogs and the two girls. The dogs have a good recall and are good with other dogs but I would rather be left alone with all this to manage. We see someone coming out of the trails with a black Lab. The dogs see them but I call them back to me and have them sit/stay. They are really really riled up wanting to go swimming - you know what it's like when you first arrive somewhere - mayhem!!!! Okay they sit/stay while the guy and dog pass us by with a wave from all of us. He leaves and I see another getting into a car and leaving - one more to go so they can swim. We walk down to the pumpkin patch and the field and they are having a great time. Then I see an old man with a little cocka-poo or something walking towards us. Why? He is ambling over and the dog starts charging at us barking. I call the two dogs to me and they do listen and I grab collars and have them sit. The dog is way ahead of old man and now in front of us barking like crazy. I get out my leashes and put them on the dogs. I don't want Wigeon playing with dogs as she is hopefully pregnant and this dog looks very unkempt. The guy finally gets close enough and says "Oh let 'em go so they can play!" I say No I'd rather not since they are so big they could knock over your dog and we want to wait so they can go swimming. He insists - "Let 'em go." and then "Girls you want to pet her???" The dog is still riled up - barking like mad and dashing towards us and away over and over. I say No that's okay there is a lot of commotion around here. Then he says "Oh she's nice - I just adopted her last week and she seems nice." We stay put and he asks again if I want to let them play. Finally he leaves and I let my dogs off leash and head towards the pond. Within minutes the little dog is nipping their heals! Luckily when retrieving is involved Clint and Wigeon have their mind on the bumper only - they both have bumpers in their mouths and basically ignore the little scamp. I am now nervous because the dog is barking at my girls and they are trying to pet it! Ah chaos!!! I toss bumpers, dogs go in for retrieves, girls hold my hands and guy comes and gets dog laughing. Ugh. : Could have been worse. This is why I prefer my own woods.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Talking about idiots.....

Appears this guy knew his dog and had good control over it in just a week. <NOT>

I do not know why people do not understand NO. It is only two letters. I don't say it often to people wanting to pet or play with HK. I often ask them to help me train with greeting srangers. I am amazed that no one has refused the training bit in order to get to pet her. Only one person rejected my initial NO, and gave me a dirty look after the second one before going on.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Ugh!
    I think alot of "folks" from that generation just don't get it, unfortunately. Did she seem to be aggressive Sharon, or just little dog yippy-yippy-bark-bark annoying?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

Yeah, it's always a good idea to let the dog you just adopted run off leash and approach other dogs, and encourage little girls to pet him/her while the dog is barking. :

Oh my.

I hope that guy doesn't find out the hard way that this is not smart.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

YUK! That sounds horrible...on so many levels!

Yeah, it's always a good idea to let the dog you just adopted run off leash and approach other dogs, and encourage little girls to pet him/her while the dog is barking.
    No kidding!

Well, at least the dogs were cooperative and maintained sit/stays. When we first arrive somewhere, I'm afraid that decorum flies right out the window. If mine weren't on leash when that happened, and they had just gotten out of the car... :

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

It's sad that for every one of us, there are probably about 20 idiot dog owners. That guy prolly would have been the first to scream if old Clint had sat on his mop dog!