Raleigh has kennel cough ...

Thread: Raleigh has kennel cough ...

DefaultRaleigh has kennel cough ...

Actually, to be specific, it is an inflammation of the trachea. My word. Where did this come from? ???

He started gacking Sunday night. This morning he had tenderness swallowing his food (but he got going after the first four bites). I took up his food, in case we were exacerbating an already bad situation, and called the vet.

I was happy with the thoroughness of the vet visit ... we looked over the options from A to Z, looked for a foreign body, a mass/tumor, neurological esophageal issues, etc, etc, etc. The vet was able to trigger the cough by palpating the trachea. Not sure if it is viral or bacterial, though the mucus is clear and the fever is low(indicating viral). We are still doing a course of Baytril to avoid the onset of bacterial issues, especially the risk of pneumonia.

This is really out of the blue. Ivy is healthy, with no signs of a companion illness. :-\

Sheesh. Poor fellow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Raleigh has kennel cough ...

I feel for you. Bo was coughing a bunch a couple weeks ago, but we were having some construction done and it seemed to be the dust (he's generally allergic). He's all better now. Hope yours gets better quickly, too.

labby is offline Senior Member

Yep, palpating the trachea and getting a cough is a sign. Hopefully he'll be back to normal soon.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Yep, palpating the trachea and getting a cough is a sign. Hopefully he'll be back to normal soon.
    Thanks, labby.

I am just very surprised at how easily this particular virus (if it is a virus) was transmitted. Since it has been getting dark earlier, we have been walking at night with a lantern ... this means that it has literally been a few weeks since Raleigh has interacted with a dog other than Ivy ... we have not had any doggie meet n' greets along the walks ... nor have we played with any other dogs. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that this was a "blind" transmission of the virus. My brain just can't stop wondering where it came from. Unless, of course, there are strains of the virus that might take a few weeks to generate symptoms. ???

pj

awww, poor guy.
    hope he feels better soon!

Aww, poor Raleigh!!

I think the incubation period for KC can be up to a week or so after symptoms disappear... when Henry had KC, I was told by our vets to keep him away from other dogs for at least that long after he stopped coughing. I'm not sure how long the virus can live in the environment though... ???

Hope Raleigh is feeling better soon!!

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Hope Raleigh has a speedy recovery.

Brookville, Pa.