Is he too skinny?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is he too skinny?

DefaultIs he too skinny?

Jonah had his final set of shots today, and the vet mentioned he was looking a little thin (he is 17 weeks and weighs 31 pounds). I wanted to keep him "lean" for his joints, but now I'm feeling bad like I haven't been feeding him enough! She said to increase the food by at least 1 cup a day (he's currently eating 3 cups a day). Does he really look that thin and should I increase it that much?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Is he too skinny?

He might be a little thin but I wouldn't increase it a whole cup a day all at once. He's growing a lot right now so he may need a little more. I don't think he looks that bad from the side but from the top he looks a little skinny. Can you see his ribs easily? FWIW a lot of vets have no IDEA what a lab is supposed to look like unless they raise them a lot of them will say they are a little heavy or thin and they gain/loose 5 lbs and they say the same thing the next time. :

meandclint is offline Senior Member

I think he looks too thin and if he's been sound and had no problems I would increase his kibble.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I think he looks good from the side, but thin from the top view. What kind of food are you giving him? I don't know if I would increase a full cup, but would start off with a 1/2.

He's very handsome!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Listen to your Vets advice.

Tucker was 30.2 lbs at 17 weeks. Labs can vary a great deal and grow at different rates, does he self regulate?

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

He does look a tad thin. I would follow the advice and increase. When the growth spurt is over you can readjust his food intake if necessary.

He actually looks like Bo from the top to me. I think Bo is too thin, but I feed him 5 cups a day and he is still that thin, at age 2. Some days I can feel ribs and others I can't. Mostly it depends on the activity level too. What kind of exercise is he getting?

He looks a lot like Riley looked at that age (and still looks at 14 months), and if he is anything like Riley, you will have a somewhat hard time putting weight on him. We recently moved, so Riley gets more exercise in a big backyard and dog park, so I figured he needed to eat more. I was feeding him 1 1/2 cups Innova adult twice daily, and I increased his amount by an entire meal (3/4 cup extra each time I feed him). This was 2 months ago, and he has stayed steady at 80 pounds. He is also free of any intestinal parasites, and the vet says he is healthy. You could try increasing his food if he seems to thin to you, but if it were me, I would be careful not to increase it TOO much...to me, a dog who is a teeny bit too thin is much healthier than a dog who could stand to shed a few. Especially when he's still growing and does not need the extra weight on his bones and joints. His side pic looks great to me, but I agree with whoever said his overhead pic looks just a bit on the thin side.

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    I think he looks good from the side, but thin from the top view. What kind of food are you giving him? I don't know if I would increase a full cup, but would start off with a 1/2.
    He's getting Orijen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker
    Labs can vary a great deal and grow at different rates, does he self regulate?
    No he doesn't self regulate, he definitely gobbles down his food when I give it to him. I was feeding according to the package.

Quote Originally Posted by CenTexLabs
    Mostly it depends on the activity level too. What kind of exercise is he getting?
    Actually, he doesn't get a whole lot. He's definitely a low energy lab, he really isn't too interested in much excersise (I try to engage him, and he'll play for 5-10 minutes, but he'd much rather explore and try to eat stuff). 1 walk a day (10-15 minutes), a little playing in the front yard, and a few pitches of fetch with the ball. He does sometimes chase the kids around the house. Other than that he is pretty content just following us from room to room. That's been his personality since he was born, so I'm not concerned about that, but I know that he's definitely not thin from too much activity.

I'll be increasing his food and just keep a close eye to make sure he doesn't put on too much too fast! I just felt so bad that I wasn't feeding him enough!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast