Just Labradors banner

Frontline / Heartgard Question

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  HersheyK's Dad 
#1 ·
I can't find the thread, but there was a discussion that Frontline and/or Heartgard could be given every 45 days rather than 30. Which one was it, or was it both? Or was the thread in the health forum?

#3 ·
Every 30 days for Heartguard.

Every 45-50 days for Frontline.

Frontline says it will repel and kill fleas up to 90 days, but only 30 days for ticks.

I usually go through 3 tubes of frontline for each dog in the summer. The last tube I gave them was the 1st of August. They are due for another one but since it is cold enough the fleas and ticks should be gone.

#5 ·
I do 5 weeks so 35 days. Heartguard works backwards killing any microfilaria (baby heartworms) that are present before any damage can be done. I don't know how far back it will work - I remember I was told at least 6 weeks.

Frontline does begin to diminish in the system after 3 weeks but it can still kill ticks for up to 6 weeks. I use that as needed as well - usually two applications in the spring and two in the fall.

#7 ·
45 days is per Merial (the maker of Heartguard)...Interceptor is the same way. I only use Frontline a couple of times a summer.

#10 ·
Maybe I will go to the two or three times a year protocol for Frontline.

I just put them on a 40-day Interceptor/Heartgard program. I did 40 so I would have a few days grace if I happened to forget. :-[

#11 ·
I don't understand the forget part. Not because it was just mentioned. Most of us have cell phones with calendars that have reminder capability. Just set it for the right number of days for the next one.

#13 ·
Endofile said:
I don't understand the forget part. Not because it was just mentioned. Most of us have cell phones with calendars that have reminder capability. Just set it for the right number of days for the next one.
I'll give a plug for google's calendar here ... I love it, and have it set up to send me email reminders for Interceptor and Frontline/Advantix. It can also send text messages to cell phones. calendar.google.com I'm sure there are other services that do the same.

#14 ·
ChowHound said:
Endofile said:
I'll give a plug for google's calendar here ... I love it, and have it set up to send me email reminders for Interceptor and Frontline/Advantix. It can also send text messages to cell phones. calendar.google.com I'm sure there are other services that do the same.
Good Option ChowHound

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.