Biting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biting

DefaultBiting

I have a 4 month old choc. lab. I know he is teething now, but he continues to bite all of the time, and nip. Please can anyone give me some direction to go. Or is this something he will grow out of, Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Biting

Harlee just turned 6 months and from 4mths to 5 months she was horrible at biting. Don't worry they grow out of it, she still bites some but nothing like it was and seems to be getting better every day.

georgie is offline Senior Member

It takes time. What I did was say "no bite" & replace my hand with a Nylabone.

It took alot of time & patience, but eventually both of mine stopped the biting.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Another technique is to yelp when he bites and turn your back to him and ignore him.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

They do grow out of it with consistent training, I also used frozen cloths when Sammi was teething! She now has the softest mouth, even in play you can put your hand in her mouth and she will mouth but not bite- I promise it will get better!

They can be REALLY bad at that age, and MANY of us have asked the exact same question on this forum, so rest assured we know what you are going through! But they will grow past that phase...use the techniques recommend by the previous posts and just have good patience... I think labs are a really challenging breed during young puppy phase, but they grow into great dogs. Good things come to those that wait.

There is alot on bite inhibition and different schools of thought on getting through this phase though..

Welcome to the forum..hope you stick around!

momofalab is offline Senior Member

I also used frozen cloths when Sammi was teething
    Want to be careful doing this. It might teach him that it is ok to chew on things like this.

What we found to work on occasion was to give him something that he can chew on instead of your hand. Nylabone makes a nice puppy bone, that Pitch always enjoyed.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Momofalab
    Want to be careful doing this. It might teach him that it is ok to chew on things like this.

What we found to work on occasion was to give him something that he can chew on instead of your hand. Nylabone makes a nice puppy bone, that Pitch always enjoyed.
    Your right about that, it worked for us, she would chew right through nylabones-so I stopped giving her those. You just need to find what works for you and your pup. Luckily Sammi grew out of it, as most do!

Merlot_1 Guest

[quote=dipete ]
    Quote Originally Posted by Momofalab
    >That was my biggest mistake. I have to keep the bathroom door bungie corded becuse Merlot goes in there and steels all the wash clothes and chews them up

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rangermom
    Another technique is to yelp when he bites and turn your back to him and ignore him.
    I did this with Kass when she was a pup. Ernie was 3.5 when I got him and he nipped. I give a really exagerated yelp if he put his mouth anywhere near me. I also said no bite as he started to.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast