Question for owners of two dogs
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for owners of two dogs

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion for owners of two dogs

How do you manage this: Two dogs, both on leash, both have to poop, both have distinct and incompatible ideas about where said pooping should occur?

We have had a houseguest this weekend, Theo's buddy Ringle. It's been great fun, and totally easy. But twice now I have been walking the boys on leash through the neighborhood when they suddenly decide that they have to poop at the same time. One goes one way, the other goes the other way, usually crossing leashes once or twice in front of me and then high-tailing it with great determination toward their destinations. Anyone watching me would see a good approximation of the "before" scenes on the "Dog Whisperer" or "It's Me or the Dog." Then I'm trying to get two bags out, put the dogs in sit-stays, clean up the poop, get the dogs back (at least one will have broken the stay, or bitey-face will have ensued, or both), finish cleaning up, etc., etc.

They also love to start in on a good game of bitey-face while we're walking on leash, which is actually quite amusing. I figure that if they really lived together we could get that one under control.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question for owners of two dogs

Ohhhh, where is the video?

I need to send Kevin here to help you with your questions. :P

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

LOL that sounds amusing to watch Nathan
    I can't say that Mocha and Zeus have ever both tried to poo at the same time on a walk. Normally they go before we leave so I just pick it up on my normal clean up but occasionally one or the other will go on our walk then I normally try to get them in a sit stay and clean up. Luckily mine do not try to play bitey face while on our walks though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

No help ....I only have 1 dog and she absolutely will not pee or poop while on our walks. So we walk for an hour, go home, and I have to let her out into the back yard to pee or poop :.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

I have 2 with 2 very different agendas!

Fortunately, I can do the off-leash thing part of the time.

For the on-leash walks, they get at least once a day...I have a system down that works pretty good but Cricket can be a real challenge.
    I do get yanked in 2 different directions sometimes which is really annoying. What helps is that Lucy wears a prong so I have some more control. Cricket goes potty in the same area everyday. I don't have to do poop pick-up (no having to carry poop too) because I live on a dirt road and I just bury it well with the dirt on the side of the road. When Lucy has to go, she stops and looks in the woods. I let her off leash, she runs in the woods, poops and comes back for a cookie.
    The biggest challenge is that Cricket like to bark at cars(go ballistic is a better description) so I have to be sure I get her and Lucy off to the side of the road when a car is coming, step on Cricket's leash so she has limited range, reach into my pockets for treats and do nose-teases with the treats to distract Cricket from barking and going crazy. Sometimes people speed down my road and don't slow down in time for me to get out of the way and Cricket distracted in time...she goes mental...then proceeds to take it out on Lucy's ankles...that is when I just get so fed-up.
    I have walked 2-3 dogs at a time easily though..depends on the dogs. I can do Lucy with my brother's dogs and my sister's dog without much trouble.
    Cricket is THE challenge.

one time a few weeks back I accidently let go of Cricket's leash after my neighbor passed us by in their car. Cricket took off and chased their car barking all the way into their driveway and into their garage and into the lap of the owner getting out of her car. I don't think she was terribly amused..not a dog person. Cricket was lucky she wasn't run over. I nearly died of heart failure that afternoon...

I feel for you. I have 2 & 1 will poop @ home before the walk & then wait until we're about 1/4 mile away & poop again in someone's grass. Then I have to carry the stinky poop for the REST of the walk. The other one sometimes poops during the walk but mostly waits until she's home. If we walk too long, they start the bitey face game I guess because they're board. :

labby is offline Senior Member

well I had Jake and Teddie at a show yesterday. Teddie got off lead to potty and Jake didn't.

Laura

Practice, Practice, Practice...that's all I can say. 3 years of picking poo twice daily for me.

I think the boys just know that after they doo(-doo) it, they know that we have to linger at that spot while I collect. I used to think Angus starting eating poo after he saw me collecting it, thinking "must be good if he's saving it".

I wonder if the neighbors have funny names for me...Mr. Poo-picker?

The worst is when I have 2 bags and one of them decides for an encore performance. I imagine the homeowner inside, seeing that I have poo bags already and wondering why I'm not cleaning up their yard too.

Molly, I can totally visualize the Cricket-Lucy combination.

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    well I had Jake and Teddie at a show yesterday. Teddie got off lead to potty and Jake didn't.
    I'm sure we would develop more skill with this over time. It's just really funny to me, because I have this idea of myself as a pretty decent dog trainer and I must look SOOOO stupid with these dogs dragging me all over the place. We don't have a backyard right now (condo/townhouse), and I just don't trust Theo 100% not to run into the street after a kitty or a piece of food. And both boys are used to being only dogs, so they aren't used to having walk as a brace. So the whole thing is quite amusing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SeamusMcGillicuddy
    I used to think Angus starting eating poo after he saw me collecting it, thinking "must be good if he's saving it".
    BWAHAHAHAHA!!! It reminds me of a story my friend told me. She was living in rural Nepal, and one day she pulled out a tissue and blew her nose and then stuffed it back in her pocket. The villagers stared at her, started murmuring quietly. Then one woman sheepishly walked up, excused herself, and asked her why she was saving her snot, and if it had any significance in her culture. ;D

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast