Bordetella question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bordetella question

Kathryn Guest

DefaultBordetella question

How often are you suppost to give them and how many of you give them??
    I just got the card thing in the mail from out vet saying its time for Jacey to have another Bordetella... I called since I knew she had one as a puppy and they give them ever 6 months ??? . I had never heard of that....
    Im confused

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Bordetella question

My inlaws vet gives them every 6 months along with a parvo booster every 6 months. My vet gives them yearly with the option for a bordetella booster at 6 months if you want it. I have given it to them in the past (well the vet has) as when I'm walking the dogs at the HS I'm around a lot of dogs with kennel cough and I don't want to bring it home to them.

Many vets around her want to give bordetella every 6 mths and a couple boarding places require that. Personally, I stopped giving bordetella 2yrs ago and haven't had anyone come down with Kennel Cough since (Poor Darwin would have at least one bad week of kennel cough while kept current on the "vaccine").

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We don't give bordatella either. The ONLY reason I see for doing it is if you take your dog to day care or board them, and then the places normally require it. I have had all the vets I have ever gone to say I need bordatella because I take my dogs to dogshows....no one has ever gotten sick without the shot!

Kathryn Guest

Thanks for your help!!
    I dont think I am going to have it redone. we dont plan on being around unknown dogs or anything so I think it will be alright..

momofalab is offline Senior Member

I live in NY, and we are required if boarding, classes, etc, to have the bordatella/kennel cough vaccine 1x a year. So Far Pitch has had one, and he is 9mos of age.

labby is offline Senior Member

I haven't given it since I had to give it to Libby to take her to puppy classes 6 years ago. She got kennel cough twice that year. Haven't done is since and haven't had another case of it and we go almost weekly to dog shows.

Laura

I board my dogs about 3 times a year & was told this last time that they need the vaccine every 6 mos. b/c kennel cough is so bad this year. I called my vet & he said he doesn't recommend every 6 mos. b/c of the risk of over vaccinating. Not sure what I'm going to do next time I have to board them but I don't want to risk their health w/the vaccine. :-\

I am supposed to give it every 6 months since I take Billie to daycare. I'm not sure how I feel about that...I'd rather not give it but I don't want to keep her out of daycare either.

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

The only reason Elias gets it is because it's required at his doggie day care. Needless to say it's not fool proof. Kennel cough went around the day care and Elias ended up with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast