Labs at our local Humane Society
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labs at our local Humane Society

DefaultLabs at our local Humane Society

I walk dogs at our local HS and walked these babies yesterday. They were so cute I hope they find their forever homes soon.
    http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=9434472
    This is Hershey. I wasn't sure if I could handle walking him when I was in the kennel next to him with Logan he was jumping barking going crazy his kennel tag says no dogs or cats so I was afraid he was a handfull. I decided to at least go in his kennel and pet him. Once I was in his kennel he was the biggest baby he just wanted to be loved on and petted and he let me rub his belly forever. I found a gentle leader and took him for a good walk. He was not going back in his kennel though and put on the brakes as soon as we entered the hall way. I ended up carrying him back to his kennel all 70 lbs of him. HE's a doll though.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=9428801
    This is Logan. He's 7 years old and was a gem as well. He didn't walk very well on the lead but once in the exercise yard he played some and let me love on him. He is catagorized as a low energy dog but I wouldn't say that he was very eager to play and be loved on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Labs at our local Humane Society

I dont know how you do it. Those eyes just kill me.

At first I wasn't sure I could without takeing them all home but actually there have only been a few that I really wanted too. It makes me feel good to be able to let them out to play and try to work on their manners so they can find a new home where they will get the attention they need. I know we can't have another dog for quiet a few years 3 is our limit especially if we start a family soon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Barb, how often do you go? How long do you stay for each visit? How many dogs per trip do you walk?

Asking because I'm seriously considering doing this at the place up the street from where I work.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

I used to go every Tuesday and Thursday from 6-7 after work. They changed the hours back in June though where they close at 6pm so I can't get in there after work during the week. I've been trying to go on the weekends whenever I can but it's been a very hectic summer so I haven't been as much as I like. They ask that you come 2 hours a week but they don't say anything if you don't make it. They do have a schedule they ask you to try to follow for those with a more regular schedule so they know someone will be there to walk them as they don't get out unless the volenteers take them. If you can't have a regular schedule you get fill in where you can.
    I normally spend about 15 minutes with each dog. Some more than others depending on their energy and the weather and how many need to go out yet that day. They have a few exercise yards you can take them to play with them off leash or there is a side lot outside that you can take them for a leashed walk. They have treats for us to give them and we try to work on sit, lay, and walking nicely on a leash.

I really enjoy it and would encourage any one who has a little free time to check into it if there is a Humane Society near you. I'm sure they each have different programs but hopefully they have one similar. Ours also has an adoption matchmaker program where you help people coming to pick out a animal. You can also help take pictures for the website or help with other PR stuff.

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

I LOVE Logan !

(partial to yellows !) but think 3 is enough for me for now
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the info Barb. I'm definitely going to check into it.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Quote Originally Posted by bearbuddymarie
    I LOVE Logan !

(partial to yellows !) but think 3 is enough for me for now
    Logan was a darling I spent some time in his kennel just giving him some lovin too he just let me scratch his head and even gave me a kiss.

I inquired at our local shelter, but they wont take volunteers. :-\

Well that stinks
    Is it a county run place or Humane Society/ASPCA? I don't think they have anything like this at our local Animal Control since it's city run but the HS is non profit and they rely on volenteers heavily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast