Gold N Paws Dog Food?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold N Paws Dog Food?

JollyMolly Guest

DefaultGold N Paws Dog Food?

Molly is allergic to corn and wheat. So that limits her possibilites for dog food. When I was at Sam's Club today I noticed a dog food called Gold N Paws. Anyone heard anything about this kind or ever used it? What do you think of the ingredients (and order of them). Thoughts?

Gold'n Paws is:

-Oven baked for better quality, wholeness and goodness
    -All Nautral and Holistic
    -Is a source of omega-3 and omega-6, which promote a healthy skin and a
    shiny coat -Made with fresh chicken for superior protein quality as compared to chicken meal
    -Is made with whole grains which are highly digestible and 100% natural
    -Contains inuline, a natural way to help care for your dog's digestive
    system
    -Contains glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate for the developement of
    bones, cartilage and skin tissues
    -Is beef free
    -Is ideal for all breeds over one year old
    -Is NATURALLY preserved
    -Does not contain preservatives, artificial flavors or colors, BHA, BHT,
    ethoxyquin -Does not contain wheat, corn or soy
    -Does not contain trans fats

Ingredients:

Chicken, ground oats, ground whole barley, brown rice protein, ground brown rice, fish meal, chicken fat (naturally preserved), pearled barley, ground whole rye, ground whole flaxseed, inulin, yucca schidigera, salt, monosodium phosphate, potassium chloride, garlic, taurine, vitamin E, choline chloride, beta-carotene, chondroitin sulphate, glucosamine hydrochloride, spinach, kelp, broccoli, sweet potato, apples, blueberries, pears, bananas, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, ferrous sulphate, zinc oxide, niacin supplement, calcium pantothenate, copper sulphate, manganous oxide, riboflavin supplement, thiamine hydrochloride, calcium iodate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, sodium selenite, natural flavour (This product may contain trace amounts of peanuts.).

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude protein min. 22.0%
    Crude fat min. 12.0%
    Crude fiber max. 6.0%
    Moisture max. 10.0%

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Gold N Paws Dog Food?

The food looks a little grain heavy in my opinion. The first ingredient is 'chicken' but it's chicken without the 'meal':

From: http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....betterproducts

Contrary to what many people believe, meat sources in "meal" form (as long as they are from a specified type of animal, such as chicken meal, lamb meal, salmon meal etc.) are not inferior to whole, fresh meats. Meals consist of meat and skin, with or without the bones, but exclusive of feathers/hair, heads, feet, horns, entrails etc. and have the proper calcium/phosphorus ratio required for a balanced diet. They have had most of the moisture removed, but meats in their original, "wet" form still contain up to 75% water. Once the food reaches its final moisture content of about 9-12%, the meat will have shrunk to sometimes as little as 1/4 of the original amount, while the already dehydrated meal form remains the same and you get more concentrated protein per pound of finished product. This means that in the worst case you are left with only 4 ounces of actual meat content per pound of fresh meat included in a dry kibble, many of which contain less than one pound of meat per 2-3 pounds of grain to begin with. Preferably a food contains quality meat meal as well as some fresh meat.

As the ingredients are listed by weight, in reality the chicken would be placed further down the list.

The quality of the grains used are not bad at all but IMO, this food is lacking in meat content.

When you say allergic to corn and wheat, what do you mean by that? Do you mean she gets ear infections? Like Trickster said, that food is heavy on the grains and even though there is no wheat or corn, oatmeal is a cereal grain and will still cause ear problems. Barley can cause ear problems.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above. By the time you took the water out of the chicken it would probably be way further down the list, which makes the first 4 ingredients grains/grain derivatives. Maybe try something like canidae, or even a grain free food?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

JollyMolly Guest

Molly gets bad "dandruff" and itches like crazy when eatting wheat and corn. Oatmeal and Rice dont have that effect on her.

I was hoping, this might be an ok food. I was so excited to think that I could actually find her food at some place local. I drive 30 minutes right now just for her food. (But I want the best for her, so I'll drive how ever far it takes.)

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

It doesn't look bad to me. The first ingredient is chicken after all. Give it a try and see how she does on it.

Not many people like the stuff I'm feeding my boys, but it's working wonders for them.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Laurie, what are you feeding her now?

JollyMolly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe
    Diamond Lamb and Rice.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Why not go grainless?

Innova Evo works well for my dogs. I get tons of compliments on their coats and overall healthy looks. And no yeasty infections anymore at all (Ruger was horrible with ears and hotspots). I swear by it, even though it is pricey. It's not that pricey if you only feed one dog

Quote Originally Posted by JollyMolly
    Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe
    Diamond Lamb and Rice.
    I thought you had started feeding her one of the Purina's. If you have a Costco nearby, the Kirkland is corn and wheat free; or the new Diamond Naturals is supposed to be corn and wheat free. Also they have the new grain free line, Taste of the Wild...Dutch is eating the salmon flavor of that one right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast