The guy in the dog wash today really irritated me
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The guy in the dog wash today really irritated me

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe guy in the dog wash today really irritated me

And I am still irritated, so I'm going to vent. :P

So, as I said in the other post, this guy comes in with his girlfriend to wash their dog. Well, he really took a shine to Angus. Something about yellow Labs. People just seem to think they are going to love them as much as they want them to. :-\

So this guy approaches Angus. Angus goes whale-eye. I have my hands very busy at the moment, keeping Simon from jumping out of the tub (not easy). The guy puts his hand WAY up over Angus' head so he can pat the top of his head, because all dogs love to have the top of their head whacked by a total stranger. Of course. : : :

I said, "He's a little nervous..." Meaning: BACK OFF.

Oh, but this just fueled his fire. Now he wants to comfort Angus. By banging on the top of his head. Really.

Angus, meanwhile, is shrinking away from him and really whale-eyeing. I stop what I am doing and just hold Simon. "He's not very good with strangers."

More fuel for his fire. He seems to now want to prove that he is no average stranger, and Angus is going to love him. Why? Because he's going to pat the top of his head! Angus will love him instantly, if only he can make contact!

> > >

I really should have just told the guy Angus bites.

All I could really do in the position I was in is watch Angus and praise him for not going ballistic. He didn't love it, but he didn't react terribly, so for that I was proud and he got lots of "good boys."

But I swear, every time I thought we had shaken this guy off, he was back over there, going over Angus' head with his hand. He did it like four times before they finally got finished and left.

WTH is wrong with people? Talk about no observation skills. : I know he meant well. He really liked Angus, for whatever reason. Kept talking to him. But Angus was very uncomfortable...this was his first time, and he was tethered to keep him in place.

I just wish people would be more considerate and ask if it's OK to pet your dog.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The guy in the dog wash today really irritated me

Awwww Angus :-*

I can only imagine how annoyed you were, but I keep looking at the positive in the situation. Angus let the guy touch him without freaking out.

I probably would have ended up sooo angry that the man would have gotten an earful.
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Two cents.
    (1) If Angus has a tendency to bite. Just tell the stranger that your dog does not like being pet by strangers and has a tendency to bite, so please do not approach or pet him.
    (2) Angus is just nervous with strangers and you are worried he may bite. Tell the stranger that you are busy and would appreciate it if he did not approach your dog without you at his side.

In both cases I belive the approach shold not be offensive to the sranger, and if it is, too bad.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

momofalab is offline Senior Member

Would of been great, if Simon helped Angus out, and shook some water on that jerk! Good Boy Angus for not tearing into him.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

If you had the hose thingy to rise them you could have squirted the guy and told him to back off..lol.

Some people have no clue...good for being calm about it all...and kudos to Angus for staying cool...well, for him at least!

I totally understand your frustration. We go through this every time someone meets Tyson for the first time. If only people would just listen, but no, they seem to think that they know better than you do. :

meandclint is offline Senior Member

Please take my opinion as trying to be constructive and show the other side and not that I am slamming you (or anyone else). Connie I know how much you love your dogs and I think that sometimes clouds judgement. I know with my fearful dog I wanted her to be "happy-go-lucky" all the time and wished everyone could know her like I did.

A big pet peeve of mine is people blaming everyone else for some behavior issues their dogs may exhibit. If it's your dog then you should be in control of situations as much as possible. I'm sorry I have to be honest and frank and in my opinion there is nothing wrong with what the man did in the dog wash. People love dogs and want to pet them and no they are not all experts on dog behavior. If a dog is at a public place then people figure they are friendly and okay with such social situations. If you really didn't want him to touch Angus then you could have simply said "Please DO NOT TOUCH my dog. He is very nervous and does not like strangers right now."

I had a dog that could be extremely fearful (oddly mostly at home and NOT in public) yet 99% of the time she was sweet and did enjoy attention from strangers yet if I read that she was nervous at any time I would say to the person approaching or touching her something to the affect of "Please do not touch her right now - she is a very quirky and nervous dog and I'm afraid she might snap." I didn't use inuendos and didn't skirt around the issue. I loved my dog and hated for someone to think she wasn't "nice" but I didn't want her to be stressed out and I certainly didn't want a snap to happen.

In my opinion if you are taking your dog out in public you are taking responsibility for everyone around you. It's a public place and so the public will be there and they have a right to think a dog out in public is sociable until told otherwise.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by WigWag

I'm sorry I have to be honest and frank and in my opinion there is nothing wrong with what the man did in the dog wash.
    I tend to disagree. Anyone with 1/2 a brain should know that you NEVER approach a strange dog by putting your hand above its head. In doing so, the dog can't see where your hand is & therefore has no way of knowing what you're going to do to it. This is why so many dogs go into attack mode. It's a combination of fear & self defence. Unfortunately when the dog does go on the defensive, it's ALWAYS the dogs fault.

Any competent trainer will tell you the correct way to approach a dog is by going up to it & speaking in a non threatening soft voice. You should hold you hand out in front of the dogs face so it can A: see where your hand is and B: get a good smell of you. Once you have gotten past this phase, you shouldn't have any problems & should be able to pet the dog & make friends.

Of course common sense should ALWAYS prevail & if you think for a second that you may get bitten or cause handling problems for the owner you should stay away. Most dogs will show in their body language if they are safe to approach or not.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I have to say, I do agree with what is written above, Connie, especially this part:

In my opinion if you are taking your dog out in public you are taking responsibility for everyone around you. It's a public place and so the public will be there and they have a right to think a dog out in public is sociable until told otherwise.
    I know it's tough if you have a dog with issues but it's life, unfortunately. When I take my dogs out in public I accept that there is a chance they will be jumped on by children, cooed over by adults of all shapes and sizes, hugged, squeezed, etc. Heck, if I take one mine to the school to pick up my youngest sister, I swear every child in the school has to come over for a pet and a hug. But of course, I have Labs that are totally nonreactive and they lather up every once of attention they can get.

I would be honest and straight to the point if there is a next time. When the average person sees a Lab they are going to assume that it's friendly and rightly so.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by WigWag
    A big pet peeve of mine is people blaming everyone else for some behavior issues their dogs may exhibit. If it's your dog then you should be in control of situations as much as possible. ... People love dogs and want to pet them and no they are not all experts on dog behavior...
    Wow! I think Wigwag makes a great point for all of us. Talk about a wake up call. I have learned so much from these forums and I have had dogs since I was 4 years old. How many others, that have or don't have dogs, come to these forums, or read books, or even have discussions on dog behaviors, training, etc. We (including self) assume too much knowledge on the part of others interfacing with our friends.

Now, if I can only remember at all the appropriate times. (Its tougher to do that for some of us older folks, most of you kids should have no problem. )
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast