Wife Vs. Hubby

Thread: Wife Vs. Hubby

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultWife Vs. Hubby

Do dogs remember why you are upset with them? (My guess is no.) The reason I ask this is in regards to an earlier post from this afternoon in Training Tips. Had a not-so-good experience with Breezy on the beach today. I was pretty upset when I got home, and not too happy with Breezy. Hubby said I should put her in the kitchen and not pay her any attention for the rest of the night. I said that she wouldn't have any idea why she was being ignored by then. I reprimanded her at the beach when the incident occurred. To still be angry with her and ignore her 4 and half hours later, doesn't seem like it will "teach" her anything. Hubby says she will know why I am upset with her, and that she will remember why. I say, she won't remember and it will confuse her and really won't do any good to sequester her away for the night. So, what do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Wife Vs. Hubby

If it has been 4 hours since the incident Breezy will have no idea why you are upset with her. If you corrected her the moment the improper bahavior occured, that should do it.

Just go on tonight like nothing happened. Breezy would not have known why you corrected her 10 minutes after it happened, let alone 4 hours.

Dogs live pretty much for the moment. Four hours later your pup has no idea why you are mad. They do have good memories but too much discipline is going to backfire on you. If you had a child of 4 or 5 would you lock the child up and stay mad for hours?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I think there time span for correction - at least as pups is about 2-5 min.s- trainers will know for sure, but it is really short- 4 hr.s later she will have no clue!

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Another incident where woman knows best! ;D
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

georgie is offline Senior Member

Breezy won't know why you are ignoring her. Dogs live in the moment. that is why the correction is needed instantly. I'm with you on this one.

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Just as I thought.
    Going to go snuggle now......with Breezy! ;D
    Hubby will get snuggles later once football is over.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Every gundog trainer and K9 officer I know says you have about 2 seconds to get a correction in to get the dog to associate the correction with the action for which you are correcting.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg