Adoption
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adoption

DefaultAdoption

Hello everyone,

I am currently owned by female Jack Russell and a male Chihuahua. I have always loved Labs
    but never had one of my own. I found a beautiful Chocolate Lab at a SPCA near by. Here is a link
    to her:
    http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=9334958

My question is how much activity well she need to be happy? I walk my dogs about 15 minutes in the morning and 30 to 45 minutes when i return from work. I take them for longer walks on the weekends. My parents live next door and watch them while i am at work.

Gracie was found as a stray so the people at the SPCA don't know if she was ever an inside dog, those of you that have experience with adoption I would love to her your thoughts.

Thank you for your time,

David

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Adoption

Thank you for thinking about Gracie. She's pretty. At 4 years old, her energy level will be less than a younger dog, but WAY more than your two smaller dogs. She will probably require some retrieving sessions in between walks. But you won't know for sure until you meet her.

As for being inside, you'd be surprised how quickly they adapt. You basically treat her like a pup when she gets there so that you can properly show her house rules and potty places.

Good luck!
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

AL is in such need for people adopting labs....You already walk your dogs more than mine are walked on a daily basis, and my guys are very well adjusted. All depends on the dog, but like Dani said, a few backyard retrieves, lots of nice belly rubs, you just might have yourself a great new pet. Good luck and please keep us posted. Also thank you so much for considering rescuing a lab in AL!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to JL. I would go for it. My Nellie is a rescue and is about 7 years old. She's still pretty active but I'm limited to the amount I can walk because of a bad back and hip. I give her extra exercise by tossing a ball up and down the stairs of my house. It's amazing what 10 - 15 minutes of that will do.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

she is a pretty girl. I hope it works out for you. Sounds like you care enough to consider her needs....
    Please keep us posted on what transpires.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am glad you are thinking about adopting Gracie. She is a pretty girl. Sounds like you will be able to meet her exercise needs. Labs love people & with lots of love, anything can work. Please let us know how things go.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

She's beautiful! Thank you for considering her.

I want to thank everyone for their replies. I plan to go spend some time with her on Saturday.
    Though I would love to bring her home then I have to be out of town from the 22-26 so I will
    need to wait until I get back. The up side to waiting is I will have time to buy a few things to
    make her feel welcome and comfortable.

Welcome to JL & thank you for considering Gracie. She looks like a sweet girl.

I rescued both Nick & Nora and have never looked back. The additional energy required for them has actually been extremely beneficial for me. I wish you well and hope it works out for you, your current crew and Gracie.

Awww...she's really pretty. Thanks for thinking of rescue.

Murray is a rescue. We adopted him when he was around 2. He just turned 6. Murray's best friend is a Jack Russell. They play really well together.

I think your other dogs will help keep her entertained. Just make sure they all get along and really watch her around the Chi until you are sure she can behave appropriatey (one accidental misguided step and the Chi could be badly injured by a large dog like a Lab).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast