Sammys vet visit got me concerned
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sammys vet visit got me concerned

DefaultSammys vet visit got me concerned

My hubby and I are going on a cruise the beginning of Nov and Sam needed his Bordatella shot before he can get boarded. We went to the vet yesterday to get it and I asked to have a full physical since ours is due in Dec I figured we were there and I was paying for the vet she might as well check him out all over. She feels him everywhere, weighs him (85.4 lbs) and looks in his eyes, ears, nose, etc.
    She feels his legs, looks at his paws and then she tells me "his right knee seems to have a knee cap" she asks me if I have noticed if he limps or lifts his right rear leg at all ever or if he favors his left? I havent seen any of this, he never seems to limp or have any problems. She tells me I have to watch it because he has a knee cap and if he starts limping it could lead to or be a sign of an ACL tear and then he would need surgery. ??? :'(
    Now Im flipping out Sammy is 4 years old, why didnt anyone ever tell me to watch out for anything before this???? Hes been going to this vet center which is very good with everything else for about the last 2.5 yrs, hes seen this vet before but never for a physical, his usual vet was booked, this is his colleague.
    So I ask her what am i supposed to do right now? She tells me just watch him make sure I dont notice any limping or weird behavior, if I do come right in. She also says if that happens we will start him on Glucosamine pills. Im thinking of starting him on them anyway if it will help? She also said keep him lean, dont let him gain weight, she says he looks great where hes at, if he lost a few pounds it would be even better. Ive been giving him baby carrots instead of cookies the last 2 days to try to see if I will be able to trim him a little bit. This is all I can think of for the last 2 days now. I know I am probably overreacting but can anyone else tell me what I should be looking for and how to proceed? Also Im interested in giving him a supplement right away but dont know what to get as I know there are soo many out there. Anyone that can help thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!
    Christine and Sammy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Sammys vet visit got me concerned

bumping in hopes of some responses

labby is offline Senior Member

Get a new vet. All dogs have knee caps.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Posted on: Today at 08:53:14 PMPosted by: labby
    Insert Quote
    Get a new vet. All dogs have knee caps.
    Glad you said it...I was thinking it.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I think I would get back with my regular vet...Sammy sounds like a healthy, normal 4 y/o. Unless I'm missing something, sounds like she should continue her normal activities.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I'm with Labby, they all have knee caps!

Hi
    Thanks for the responses. I hope I misunderstood what the doctor meant, maybe she meant to tell me that he has a problem with the knee cap. Im going to call the vet tomorrow and ask for clarification. Any idea what kind of supplement I should start him on? I figure it cant hurt, to start him on something just in case. Thanks, I will update once I hear back from the vet tomorrow.
    CHRIS

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sammys Mom
    Hi
    Thanks for the responses. I hope I misunderstood what the doctor meant, maybe she meant to tell me that he has a problem with the knee cap. Im going to call the vet tomorrow and ask for clarification. Any idea what kind of supplement I should start him on? I figure it cant hurt, to start him on something just in case. Thanks, I will update once I hear back from the vet tomorrow.
    CHRIS
    Could she be talking about a luxating patella, maybe? This is where the knee cap pops out of it's socket (there are varying degrees of severity) I know it's a pretty big problem in minpins, that's how I know it, don't know about the rate of occurence in labradors...?

Hope you get some piece of mind.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

If he's not limping, don't worry about it.

If it will make you feel better, give him glucosamin/chondrotin supplements.

My feelings are... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Even if he has a minor ACL tear, until it rips all the way they usually don't go in and fix it.

And even if he does have an ACL tear, it is fixable and usually with good results.

Magnum's ripped completely in two and she had surgery to fix it and she is still competing and winning in agility trials.

patm is offline Senior Member

Maybe she said "crepitus", which is a kind of grinding sound a joint can make. Sometimes just a sound that doesn't really mean anything or doesn't progress to anything else, but could indicate some arthritis or micro-swelling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast