hips and elbows

Thread: hips and elbows

Defaulthips and elbows

For those that have dogs with bad hips and/or elbows, at what age did you notice a problem? I am so paranoid about this (I did do my research, Jonah's parents both are offa certified excellent on dad and good on mom for hips, elbows normal, and all grandparents back 4-5 generations are the same, as are many siblings, half, etc.). I'm still paranoid! Jonah seems to have a huge sway in his hips when he walks. Then today when walking him, I noticed he is limping! Seems to be his front right leg, as soon as we started and I saw it, I ended the walk immediately. Checked pads/paws/nails and all seem to be fine.

For those that are going to ask, we do no running, no jumping, and walks are limited to one a day straight down the street and back, maybe 10 minutes medium speed if I were to walk without him stopping to great all the neighbors. The most "running" he gets is chasing a ball in the house 3-4 pitches (I'm wondering if sliding on the tile could have caused him to pull a muscle).

So what age would you notice a problem? What age are they typically checked or x-rayed? Any suggestions for the limp? Worried mom here!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: hips and elbows

How old is Jonah again..?

I hear you on the paranoia. BIG time. :-[

Baloos parents are both tested clear, I still worry. I'm beginning to think I will worry forever. :-\ Baloo sways when he walks too. Part of it is a puppy thing, and part of it is a larger-dog thing. (I've been watching dogs, esp. labs, walk, and I've been noticing a lot of swaying hips, even if it is slight. )

I'm not sure about the limp, as a limp can mean a ridiculous amount of things, unfortunately. Baloo has whacked himself before and limped for a few steps, could he have hurt himself at all?

I would think if it goes on for a few days to get him to a vet, as they can isolate different areas more easily than you or I could, know what I mean..?

Hope Jonah feels better soon!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Jonah will be 4 months on October 20th. I did not see him do anything that would cause him to be hurt, but we do have kids....I have warned them about being gentle with him and explained the ramifications of bad hips/legs, but I did catch my 7 year old slightly lifting his back leg yesterday while he was peeing :-\ (she said she was trying to teach him to pee right, that's another story!).

We are going to the vet Tuesday morning for his rabies shot, so I will definitely talk to her about it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Merlot_1 Guest

You have a right to be worried, but labs are also tougher than you think. My last lab, Sam, jumped out the back of my pickup truck at 45mph, bounced on the hard pavement, and bounced to the curb and up on a lawn. He limped real badly for a week but healed up just fine He was 1 1/2 years old when that happened.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

If you did your homework before picking the pup half the battle is over.
    The other half: Keep your dog lean. Limit/avoid forced exercise (on leash jogging, biking, rollerblading) until he is two.

Finally - try to relax. If you do/did the above there is nothing more you can do but enjoy your time with your puppy.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Trust me, you can drive yourself nuts worrying about these puppies!! Rest him for a couple of days and see where you are with the limp...if it's still there head to the vet for some xrays. I hope the little guys good as new soon

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Brookville, Pa.