Oh crap. Fleas. UPDATED WITH BATH PICS :P
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh crap. Fleas. UPDATED WITH BATH PICS :P

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultOh crap. Fleas. UPDATED WITH BATH PICS :P

Update: Three hours later... :

Dog food lady to the rescue. Her business is actually a dog wash primarily, so when I found another flea on Angus I called and asked if they were busy for baths today. First come, first served, they said. I asked how much it was for them to do it vs. me doing it. $14 for self-serve, $30 for full service. I am thinking this is definitely going to be a time to go for full service. So, I pack up both boys and off we go.

We get there, and guess what? Sunday is self service ONLY.

Angus had a bath, once, when he was about two months old. Simon has not had one since the shelter. I am all alone, cause Kevin wanted to watch football. But I really really really want to do this. So, I sucked it up.

It was actually pretty fun once I got the hang of what I was doing. Well, fun for me, not for them. Angus tolerated it. Simon despised it more openly, but tolerated it pretty well too. But he was not going in that tub. I had to pick him up and put him in! I would not have thought I could pick him up, but whaddya know?

Oh, and then some numbskull came in while I was doing Simon and insisted on making friends with Angus. By repeatedly reaching over his head to pat him. : Angus clearly did not like this, but this idiot seemed to think if he did it enough it would win Angus over. In spite of my throwing hints like crazy, he persisted. Angus didn't do his stranger danger act, but he looked like he was on the verge. I was ready to smack this guy by the time he left.

So my dog food lady came back and I asked her what I should do. She was anti-Advantix...she seemed to think the bath (flea shampoo, all-natural) and a dusting of DE was going to get it. I asked her where I could get DE. She said, "Here!" What a HUGE relief. I was dreading driving all over town looking for it.

Kevin was vacuuming when I got home. The boys got another application of Neem, and are outside at the moment. I'm going to do the DE (or maybe recruit Kevin), let it settle and let them back in.

Incidentally, I only saw about five more fleas come off Angus after his bath. Nothing from Simon.

What I am hoping and praying is that quick action will save us. If worse comes to worse, maybe Advantix next week. What sucks about this is, they have a show next weekend. So, we cannot go with fleas.

Anyway. Before I left, Kevin said this really sounded like a Kodak moment and not to forget the camera. So here are a few pics:

I hate you.

Where are you going? You better NOT be leaving!

Oh, the humanity!

I hate you so much I won't even look at you.

I am never coming here again.

Look at Simon's wild hair in this one!

Well, we came home from Dog Day yesterday with fleas.

I have found three on Angus. I picked two off and killed them, but lost the third. :'(

He has a lot of flea dirt at the base of his tail, too.

I haven't been able to find any on Simon, but being black he is harder.

I brushed them both this morning and put on Neem Oil, which I have been doing weekly. I wish I had done it before we went yesterday. I should have known this would happen.

So, my question is: Do I panic at this point and pull out some big guns? I have been trying to avoid flea meds in the interest of keeping them as chemical-free as possible. But I do NOT want a flea infestation in the house. Especially now, for crying out loud, since we are about to sell it. :-\

I put the Neem Oil pretty heavily at the base of Angus' tail. Would that discourage fleas who were already there? Or just drive them elsewhere on his body? I apply the Neem all over, but I just put it heavy in that area this time.

I guess if I dose them again with Advantix I wouldn't have to do it again this year. Are there any contraindications for using Neem and Advantix? Would I need to wash them first?

Do you think it is too late for the house now that I have seen a few on Angus?

Could I get some recommendations?

Help? :'(

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Oh crap. Fleas. :(

When we moved to our rental house, our cats had never been out and they ended up infested in no time at all, guess the fleas were dormant un til we moved in, but I gave all 3 kitties(didnt have Abbie yet) capstars, lasts 24hrs, shampooed the carpets with the flea shampoo then used the frontline, I did it all in stages.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

What is Neem?

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Connie, I beleive Neem is more of a repellant than a flea killer. If it was me I'd dust them with DE, as well as their sleeping areas. The other option would be a one time treatment of Advantix or frontline and beark the cycle before they lay eggs. If iyou find a few fleas theres usually more

It's a natural insect repellant derived from the neem plant. Mine smells kind of like citronella, but I think that could be other oils in the spray. It was recommended to me by the "dog food lady."

Connie and "The Boys":

So where can I get DE? I need food-grade, right? ??? It's not something I've ever seen in any store, but I've never been looking for it either.

Connie and "The Boys":

brody is offline Senior Member

having dealt with far too may flea infestations to count
    (mainly on foster kitties who arrive infested - some to the point of death)

my immediate protocol is:

into the tub for a long bath - if the infestation is truly dreadful the water will run red..YUCK- fleas drown and suffocate if they get loaded with shampoo

dry with flea comb in hand - putting found fleas into a soapy water mix (old water bottle works well) its disgusting but effective

now that we have things like revolution I then treat with a topical then retreat a month later

we have only had a problem that has escaped the individual animal twice (pre the topicals I bathed every other day) - once I missed the bathing step and tried the topical (wouldn't it have been easy if that had worked!and it does work for a teeny problem- if I cannot find flea dirt but see a flea for example) the second time I did not think the situation was bad enough for a topical ... and regretted that fast

hang in there and be agressive with them
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Connie, I use the neem oil spray as a repellent. This summer it was so hot here and Brigetta was around so many dogs I used Frontline Plus in conjunction with it. I got the idea from a friend who brought her dog to a holistic vet. The Frontline doesn't repell, which is why I went with the neem. Prudence has bad flea allergies, so I just couldn't chance an infestation in the house. I know this doesn't help- I've heard people say that they use the neem in the shampoo to kill fleas, and I've alo heard that the neem doesn't kill them right away :-\
    Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

We found DE at Lowe's in the garden department. Be sure not to get the pool grade type! This one is actually labled as Insect DE.

Quote Originally Posted by Brigettas Mom
    Connie, I use the neem oil spray as a repellent. This summer it was so hot here and Brigetta was around so many dogs I used Frontline Plus in conjunction with it. I got the idea from a friend who brought her dog to a holistic vet. The Frontline doesn't repell, which is why I went with the neem. Prudence has bad flea allergies, so I just couldn't chance an infestation in the house. I know this doesn't help- I've heard people say that they use the neem in the shampoo to kill fleas, and I've alo heard that the neem doesn't kill them right away :-\
    Good luck!
    So Teresa, do you think, if it comes to that, that it would be OK to use Advantix on them after applying the Neem oil? I don't want to create some kind of awful chemical reaction!

I'm thinking about running them over to the dog food lady for a bath (that's actually what her place is, primarily...a dog wash). I can ask her what she thinks my options are too.

My mom was going to Lowe's, coincidentally, so she's looking for the DE there Thanks!

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast