Behaviour quiz - be a virtual adoption counsellor
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Behaviour quiz - be a virtual adoption counsellor

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultBehaviour quiz - be a virtual adoption counsellor

http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/a...rent=Lexi2.flv

Shelter's description: Charlotte is a bit on the shy side but she warms up very quickly. She loves adores people and has the manners of a little lady. She is on the small side of medium, weighing approx. 38-43 lbs.

Charlotte is spayed, current on vaccinations, dewormed, treated for fleas/ticks and socialized with other nice dogs.

-----------
    What would be the ideal home for this dog: a family with young kids? a single person? a novice or an experienced dog owner?

(and yes, I know basing any decision on a 30 second video is silly, but my dinner date cancelled and I'm bored )

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Behaviour quiz - be a virtual adoption counsellor

She's cute and I hope she finds her home soon.

I don't know. The video is short. She seems patient with the little girl, so she'd probably be fine with a family with young children. But she also clearly favors the adult (sitting closer to her, and responding with a look and a smile when she was petted), so she might be better off with an adult-only house. I'd also worry about things like housebreaking and whether a novice dog owner would have the patience to train a dog that might be "behind the curve" as it were in some respects of training. But just because someone has had dogs before doesn't necessarily mean they're sensitive and patient, either... There are so many variables, I'd think watching the chemistry with individuals would be best for making a decision, if that's possible. How's that for the long way of saying I don't know?

I wish her luck in any case.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Experienced owner with kids that are not wild! She seems to have a very mild temperament and looks happy and content with the child touching her....I don't think she'd feel as comfortable in a home with a bunch of rambunctious kids, know what I mean!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

She seems a little nervous to me. (keep in mind I don't have sound on this comp. )

I think I'd definitely have to see more. I was relieved when she started to pant a little, her ear position and stiffness worried me.

I agree that she'd probably be well suited in a home with older, respectful children. I wouldn't send her home with rowdy young'uns, either.

Edited because of my momentary lapse in proper grammar. :P
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I agree...she tolerated the little girl petting her pretty well, but looked a little bit uncomfortable, especially when having her head touched (as a lot of dogs are).

She reminds me a little of Simon when we first got him. Like a dog who needs her confidence boosted a bit.

Are you going to tell us the right answer? ;D

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

No right answer, I was just curious if others would see the red flags that I noticed... I saw a dog that was NOT comfortable with the little girl at all, eyes remained glazed and staring throughout, dog moved its head to watch every move the girl made, and when the little girl tried to stroke the foot and (poke? stroke? ) the belly, dog followed through with a nudge/prod with its nose.

If I had any say, I'd send the dog to an experienced home with older, respectful kids.

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    No right answer, I was just curious if others would see the red flags that I noticed... I saw a dog that was NOT comfortable with the little girl at all, eyes remained glazed and staring throughout, dog moved its head to watch every move the girl made, and when the little girl tried to stroke the foot and (poke? stroke? ) the belly, dog followed through with a nudge/prod with its nose.
    Yah I was really getting nervous watching the dog watching the little girl. Especially without sound, she seemed like one wrong touch/pet and the lip would curl... or worse..... :-\

Who is that dog, Nancy..?
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Just a dog I came across while torturing myself surfing shelter websites, its in a North Carolina foster programme.

It kinda scares me that not so long ago I wouldn't have been able to pick up on that nervousness at all. :-[ I would have said "what a good dog, sitting there quietly, she'd obviously be great with kids.." .....yikes...

No wonder there are so many dog attacks. :-\
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Oh my at first i thought that was my niece with that dog, but phew man she looks just like her. I'd have to agree, the dog would do fine with children that are respectful to her. I should tape Bucky with his kids here at my daycare, you'd laugh for days. But she looks very shy and that might just be caused from her background. She looks very gentle and sweet, I hope she finds a home that is good for her.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast