Bark Collar Opinions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bark Collar Opinions

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bark Collar Opinions

Barking is a very trainable behaviour.

I taught Peanut (minpin - known for being "yappy") not to bark inside. (that means inside the house, other people's houses, etc.)

So she doesn't bark inside. And I did it by correcting her when she started to bark, rewarding her when she stopped. No bark collar needed.

And just FYI, I've tried those things on myself. They Hurt. :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

here is an article addressing a similar problem: http://clickersolutions.com/articles...nicbarking.htm

What a great article! That is exactly my dog. He is completely obsessive when reacting to noises and which I think was maybe the reason why the spray bottle and 'no bark' never worked. It seemed I was just adding to the stimulous. Her method sounds like she built off the recall with the high value treats. I definitely need to read more on her philosophy. Since the recall training worked so well with Neiko and the other methods I've tried have failed to correct the barking, I wonder if a bark collar would also fail. By her reasoning, which makes sense to me, it would just add to his sensory overload. Thanks for the post. Do you have any other of her articles?

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rileygirl23
    Do you have any other of her articles?
    i don't think her other articles are all barking related, but you can search here: http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/#author

you may also want to consider joining the yahoo messageboard for this group. the members of that board may be able to give you some more ideas and suggestions.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I don't personally use a bark collar but my neighbors use one or something like it. They have a JRT and it does bark a bit BUT I think alot of it is their fault. They are not spring chickens and I NEVER see them taking it for a walk or anything. They let it out in the back yard and it starts barking so then they start yelling at it to stop. So 2 weeks ago the lady saw us out front and came over and was like yeah we got Dillon a bark collar (with a smile on her face). She went on to say that now when he barks all they do is push a button and he will stop. It was like she was bragging about it or something. I asked her if she really felt that it was necessary and she said yes and that all he does is bark. So last week the husband was over telling our other neighbor about the bark collar and how all they have to do is push a button and he stops. I just got in my car and left. I have offered that Dillon could come over and play with Baxter any time and its almost like they stick their nose up at us. So I think instead of giving their dog play time with a friendly dog they would rather stick a bark collar on him and forget it. On Monday I heard him over in the yard and I hear him barking and its "HEY! STOP IT! DO YOU WANT THE COLLAR??! GET IN THIS HOUSE!" I am in no way saying that you will get one and be like these people just sharing that SOME people really go directly to that instead of even trying alternatives like you have tried. Its a shame.

I completely agree with you. In your neighbor's situation, it sounds like they're using the bark collar as punishment without attempting any corrective training. I think it's people like that that give bark collars such a bad name. I'm sure they can be used humanely in the right circumstance. To me, it's a last resort but one I'm starting to consider. Neiko's barking has started to interfere with our enjoyment of him and vice versa. If it gets to the point where I have to leave him home, I'm going to feel that I've failed him because he's been going everywhere with me since he was a pup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12