My Girl And The Cranky Old Guy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Girl And The Cranky Old Guy

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy Girl And The Cranky Old Guy

Isn't it funny how our dogs just 'know' when someone is just not cool or nice? Yesterday Breezy and I were out for one of our daily walks around the neighborhood. I decided to venture into a different part of the area, for something new, and new smells and all that. She had already done her business earlier, so I had the lovely poop bag in one hand, her leash in the other. Well we get to a corner and she stops to sniff the new smells. The grass she was on is in between the curb and the sidewalk. Public property. I always try to keep her off people's lawns and driveways, and she is getting better. So here we are, beautiful day, enjoying our walk, and Breezy is happy as a clam investigating the new turf. Out of the house we were in front of comes an older man with a real scowl on his face. Him: "Please curb your dog." Me: "She's already done her business, she's just sniffing." Him: (nastier tone this time) "Please curb your dog." Me: "She's only sniffing."
    Well. Breezy stopped all sniffing. She stood motionless staring at the cranky old guy, the hair on her back and neck standing straight up. Then she started a very low growl which turned into a few deep barks. The old guy didn't like this, and neither did Breezy. She started to move toward him, but I held her back and made her walk with me away from the guy and his house. As we were walking down the sidewalk, she would stop every few feet and turn around to look at him, and the old guy was doing the same thing! Normally on our walks, everyone we meet Breezy's tail wags like crazy and she wants to say hello and get a few pats on the head. She loves everybody and most folks we meet love her too. But this day, she knew this guy wasn't one of the folks that would be all friendly and nice to her, or me. So she stuck up for me. Good girl Breezy! I couldn't help smiling as we walked away from the crankpot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My Girl And The Cranky Old Guy

They can definately tell the bad guys. What a meanie the old coot was.
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Good girl Breezy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

Good girl Breezy, protecting your mom like that, fancy that grumpy old man trying to spoil your walk, you did right shouting at him-

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

Breezy proved that dogs & kids usually can pick out the bad ones! Good girl!

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

I was a little surprised when she reacted like she did, because the only other time I saw her get like that was when we ran into the neighbor's cat for the first time. Now she is used to the cat and just wags her tail and wants to play. But as far as people go, this was a first. And I was glad though. It's good to know that, as friendly and loving as she is, she still knows when the situation is not good and that she can pick out the big bad meanies and let them have it.

I had a similar situation a couple of months ago. I was walking Lula with my husband and son and noticed a strange smell. Familiar, but I couldn't place it. I looked down and there were moth balls all over the sidewalk in front of the house we were approaching. I stopped and tightened the leash and was instructing my teenage son about the danger that could pose to Lula or any animal that might ingest them.

All of a sudden the lady comes flying out of her house and yells, "Did your dog sh*t in my yard?"

I told her no and explained that the dog hadn't left the sidewalk. I asked her if those were her moth balls. She said yes, she put them there to keep the dogs off her lawn. Then, I let her have it. I told her that the moth balls could possibly injure or kill any animal (or child) that ingested them and that they were on the public sidewalk. She said she didn't care and that nobody had any business in her yard. > We exchanged several very harsh words and then went on our way.

My son and husband went back that night and picked them all up and have done so several times since. Eventually, she stopped putting them out. But, I have seen her yelling at other passers by with dogs.

Unbelievable! >

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

I would have emptied the poop bag onto his lawn.......

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I can appreciate all the feelings expressed in the above posts.

I'm sure all our Lab owners expressing those are people who always pick up the poop of their Labs whenever they take them out.

But consider this --those 'cranky old crockpots' might not be so cantankerous about dogs pooping on their lawns IF all people who walk their dogs ALWAYS bagged their pooch's donations.

Puff and I start each morning's walk by parking in a large parking lot for a sports complex (4 softball fields, 8 soccer fields, 18 tennis courts, 1 Bocce court) that borders the nature preserve. People who play softball frequently have spouses with kids with them who play in the grass near the bleachers.

Over 5+ years, I can't count the 100s of cars I've seen pull in early in the morning, disgorge a dog to do its business while the owner sits in the car rejoicing that they don't have to see or handle the poop in their own yards. Then they have the dog hop back in to drive home.

Or the number of piles of dog poop I've bagged left by other dogs when I see them in the grass near the bleachers where the children play.

By my count, IDO >>>>>> COC (the number of irresponsible dog owners greatly exceeds the number of crotchety old coots).

Rather than writing off all such people, what if the Lab walker went over to the COC with his/her lovable Lab and sympathized with them about the large # of IDOs, assuring the COC that Lab walker would never leave Lab poop on someone else's lawn. And ask what their experience has been. And let Lab do a little bit of loving and pet therapy? Maybe -- sometimes -- that might help?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

Bob Pr has a good point. Maybe your neighbor has picked up lots of poo in her yard in the past. Still, nothing really justifies throwing mothballs out in the yard. :

I regularly find piles in my front yard (and they are NOT from my dog). Really aggravates me as I ALWAYS pick up my dog's piles (both in my yard and in others!).

To the OP - I think your pooch is extra smart. I do believe that our pups know when people are good and when they are "not so good"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast