Angus is so confused!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Angus is so confused!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultAngus is so confused!

We are experimenting with leaving the crate door open at night. He is three years old, and we all think he would do fine uncrated during the day. So, to try to transition him and try to get him used to being without the crate, we thought we would start at night.

Poor Angus. He is just SO confused by this!

Here's how it goes:

Angus sits at the bottom of the steps and stares me down until I go up and "tuck him in" (give him a treat for going in his crate). I "tuck him in," but leave the crate door open.

A few minutes later, he is at the bottom of the steps again, staring me down. I go and "tuck him in" again.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

This is not working.

He seems so unsettled unless the crate door is shut. He won't stay in the crate and lie down, and he won't go anywhere else and lie down. He seems to think I have forgotten something, and is trying to remind me by having me do it over. And over.

How did your out of crate transitioning go? This is such an integral part of bedtime, I think we are both having trouble.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Angus is so confused!

That is so funny, and cute.

We only crated Kody at night for the first month or so. When we went crate free during the day we wouldn't even put him in it. We left the crate out with the door open, but gave him his "going to work" treat in the middle of the room then left. He spends most of his time in the living room now on the sofa during the day.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Did you give him a treat each 'tuck in'?

I'd just ignore him - if he is pacing or whining or bothering you, baby gate him into one room.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Connie, he seems to love his crate. Why change it?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

With Mocha her crate was in the living room so I just shut the door to my room with her in there with me. The first few nights she really wanted to go to her crate she woke me up half way through the nite and I put her in her crate. After that she stayed in the room all night. Zeus sleeps in his crate with the door open by choice. I tried keeping him in the room but he hasn't really transitioned he wanted out. His crate is in the spare room right next to ours so I just leave the bedroom door open and his crate door open. He sleeps in the crate on his own. I was hoping he would move into the bedroom but it's been a few months and he still prefers the crate. I even have a bed in the room for him.

When Jenica graduated from crate to free run of the bedroom at night, we gave her her normal treat once, closed the door to the bedroom and told her to settle down. But she is going to bed at the same time we are (before that she will be sleeping or playing either in front of the TV (if we are there) or on the top landing of the stair case). By now we leave the bedroom door open and she knows to stay in the bedroom unless she has to go out.
    But we had the same confusion with her when she was left out of her crate during the day while we were out of the house. What we have done is give her a treat in her crate and close the door, but not lock it. That way she could go out if she wanted to or stay in the crate. After a couple of weeks she started to feel comfortable and settled into the new routine.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    Did you give him a treat each 'tuck in'?

I'd just ignore him - if he is pacing or whining or bothering you, baby gate him into one room.
    I agree w/this. He's 'learning' that he can sleep in the crate -- or anywhere else he chooses. It's going to take some time. Maybe stop putting his good-night cookie in the crate, but, rather, putting it where it would be okay for him to sleep? And/or creating a little 'nest' in a corner somewhere with some bedding and a fave blanky and putting the treat there for the night? As if to say, "Here, sweetie. Sleep here...."

If he cries, I'd use a SETTLE command and just continue up the stairs.

Just ignore him when he gets up out of the crate. You're teaching him that every time he does, you're going to get up, too.

All mine sleep in the room with me; heck 3 of them are usually in the bed. I rarely ever use the crate anymore, but keep one up just in case!

budbud is offline Senior Member

Connie
    Are you planning to take down the crate? when I got Buddy he was crated for 6 months then I put the crate away he was fine but then when Luke came along 2 yrs later I put it up again I think he really missed it and he goes in it all day while we are at work so I think some dogs just always love their little house so you may just leave it open and always up for him??

Oh Angus!! You've got your Mom well trained to give you many night-night cookies, huh?

I think for Henry I just started leaving the door unzipped, but still in a closed position. He could still go in and out if he wanted to. Eventually, he gave up the crate altogether, and now sleeps on my bed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast