Just Labradors banner

Do your dogs go nuts for carrots?

3K views 32 replies 27 participants last post by  Barnsley 
#1 ·
For a week, HK cannot have any hard food. We decided to see if steamed baby carrots would interest her as a treat. Steamed to soft throughout.

We have been giving her a Kong while we eat, so tonight we tried having her go to her dog bed in the kitchen and tossing her a carrot every five minutes as a reward for staying put. It worked great.

After we cleaned up, I put the remainder of the bowl in the frig. about 5 mintues later, DW told me to look at the dog. HK was sitting in front of the frig staring up at it. Dw said she thought HK wanted a carrot. I went to open the door and she starts bouncing around. I have her lay, sit, shake and give her a carrot and put them back. 20 minutes later she is sitting in front of the frig barking. She had not left her position the whole time.

These are plain steamed carrots. She has gone nuts for them. Has anyone else seen anything like this for carrots or any other treat?

#2 ·
Hmm.... not carrots, but Baloo's "lipstick" comes out each and every time there is cheese around. Or even the mention of cheese. And, if he thinks there is a possibility of him getting some cheese, lipstick comes out in full force!! :D

I'll always remember Dan's response the first time it happened.....

"Hey, did he just get a boner over cheese..??" :D ;D :eek:

#4 ·
Endofile said:
For a week, HK cannot have any hard food. We decided to see if steamed baby carrots would interest her as a treat. Steamed to soft throughout.

We have been giving her a Kong while we eat, so tonight we tried having her go to her dog bed in the kitchen and tossing her a carrot every five minutes as a reward for staying put. It worked great.

After we cleaned up, I put the remainder of the bowl in the frig. about 5 mintues later, DW told me to look at the dog. HK was sitting in front of the frig staring up at it. Dw said she thought HK wanted a carrot. I went to open the door and she starts bouncing around. I have her lay, sit, shake and give her a carrot and put them back. 20 minutes later she is sitting in front of the frig barking. She had not left her position the whole time.

These are plain steamed carrots. She has gone nuts for them. Has anyone else seen anything like this for carrots or any other treat?
Yep. Carrots, bananas, apples,tomatoes,brocoli,cauliflower, tofu, yoghurt...you name it she'll eat it except for lettuce and celery.. The other dogs that come to visit think she's nuts.

#8 ·
Shelby adores baby carrots. But then, Shelby adores all food, so I don't know if that is saying much. Actually we've never found anything that she won't eat. Guess not all Labs like carrots though -- we were dog sitting last weekend and I gave one to Shelby's chocolate buddy. He rolled it around in his mouth and then spit it out. It was on the ground about 1 nano-second before Shelby helped herself! :)

#9 ·
Mine will NOT eat calliflower (sp?), but will slurp down green beans and broccoil like they were candy. Go figure.

#10 ·
A number of years back when Rocky was a young 2 year old I was cleaning out the back veggie garden in the fall, all veggies had been dug up or so I thought and I was getting things in order for the winter. Rocky starts snuffling and snorting and then he starts rooting around in the dirt like a hog with his snout. He dug up about a quarter row of small carrots I had missed and he was just gobbling them up. He probably ate as much dirt as he did carrots but he was very pleased with himself.

#12 ·
My beloved Bess liked all foods and stole, scavenged, and wolfed down everything edible she ran across -- with only two exceptions: raw onions and raw mushrooms.

My beloved Puff is much less food driven, she actually limits herself when given free feeding but I have her on a diet** that gives her about 1/4 cup less each day than she'd normally prefer so she's a bit more food attracted.

But Puff LOVES almost ALL fruit (bananas, apples, peaches, apricots, plums, etc., plus nuts such as peanuts and cashews). And cheeses. She's not that fond of vegetables (carrots, green beans, etc.).

=======================================================

** diet: I'm very much influenced by the following study:

http://www.purina.com/science/research/DogMoreYears.aspx

Those findings are similar to many other scientific animal dietary/nutritional studies on a variety of species which have produced very similar conclusions.

In the suburban living situation in which Puff and I exist, I don't have the control over access to food that exists in scientific food studies. So I've only decreased Puff's daily intake to about 90% of what would please her; at this level, I still have control over asking her to "Leave it!" when she finds something edible in the parking lot where we start our morning walks. And she begs for seconds at breakfast and supper just a few minutes before reconciling herself to none. I'm hoping her present very slightly restricted diet leads to a bit healthier and longer life.

#13 ·
Thanks guys! HK will eat just about anything. She will plead for whatever we have in our pockets that she can smell. When I put a treat bag on my belt, it is like, Okay! Okay! What do you want me to do? Now? This? No, how bout this? as she sits, downs, extends paw, settles (lays on side), and then repeats.

But sitting and staring at the frig for that long has not been done before.

#17 ·
Every night I give the horses a carrot, as "their" good night treat..... the dogs have the routine down pat. I open the fridge and they are immediatley there..... heads stuck in waiting for the drawer to be opened and carrots brought out...... they get their carrot treat outside when I'm on the way to the barn. YES, they love carrots...... raw carrots........ they love raw green beans too.... this summer when I was breaking beans to wash and cook, they sat all around me, waiting for theirs......

Melissa
;)

#22 ·
It took Ernie time to get used to people food. Loves them now. Sam loves them.

Kassy used to dig the carrots out of the ground.

#24 ·
Clarence goes nuts for carrots and bananas. Whenever I'm making salad for us, he sits by my feet, waiting for a few baby carrots in his bowl. Yesterday, Clarence was still upstairs in our bedroom and DH opened a banana for his breakfast. I've never seen Clarence run down the stairs so fast! He heard the "crack" of the banana peel! At least they like healthy stuff!

#26 ·
Misty loved carrots. Once when I ran out of green beans I put baby carrots in the food dishes. While I was fixing their PB crackers, I heard a series of thumps and looked over in time to see Jack and Misty throwing carrots out of their bowls. When all the carrots were on the floor they ate the carrots then ate the kibble in their bowls.

Another time I was looking in the fridge, finallyfound what I was looking for and shoved the door close only to have it bounce back open. When I looked down, Misty was happily munching on baby carrots, head still in the carrot bag in the refrigerator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.