Do your dogs go nuts for carrots?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do your dogs go nuts for carrots?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo your dogs go nuts for carrots?

For a week, HK cannot have any hard food. We decided to see if steamed baby carrots would interest her as a treat. Steamed to soft throughout.

We have been giving her a Kong while we eat, so tonight we tried having her go to her dog bed in the kitchen and tossing her a carrot every five minutes as a reward for staying put. It worked great.

After we cleaned up, I put the remainder of the bowl in the frig. about 5 mintues later, DW told me to look at the dog. HK was sitting in front of the frig staring up at it. Dw said she thought HK wanted a carrot. I went to open the door and she starts bouncing around. I have her lay, sit, shake and give her a carrot and put them back. 20 minutes later she is sitting in front of the frig barking. She had not left her position the whole time.

These are plain steamed carrots. She has gone nuts for them. Has anyone else seen anything like this for carrots or any other treat?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do your dogs go nuts for carrots?

Hmm.... not carrots, but Baloo's "lipstick" comes out each and every time there is cheese around. Or even the mention of cheese. And, if he thinks there is a possibility of him getting some cheese, lipstick comes out in full force!!

I'll always remember Dan's response the first time it happened.....

"Hey, did he just get a boner over cheese..??" ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

HK likes cheese also, and she knows where it is kept. But nothing like this reaction to carrots. And females do not have the same indicator to judge by.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    For a week, HK cannot have any hard food. We decided to see if steamed baby carrots would interest her as a treat. Steamed to soft throughout.

We have been giving her a Kong while we eat, so tonight we tried having her go to her dog bed in the kitchen and tossing her a carrot every five minutes as a reward for staying put. It worked great.

After we cleaned up, I put the remainder of the bowl in the frig. about 5 mintues later, DW told me to look at the dog. HK was sitting in front of the frig staring up at it. Dw said she thought HK wanted a carrot. I went to open the door and she starts bouncing around. I have her lay, sit, shake and give her a carrot and put them back. 20 minutes later she is sitting in front of the frig barking. She had not left her position the whole time.

These are plain steamed carrots. She has gone nuts for them. Has anyone else seen anything like this for carrots or any other treat?
    Yep. Carrots, bananas, apples,tomatoes,brocoli,cauliflower, tofu, yoghurt...you name it she'll eat it except for lettuce and celery.. The other dogs that come to visit think she's nuts.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Well I do give them raw carrots as treats. They love them.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Green beans.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

I believe each of you, but I am finding this hard to believe. I saw it with my own eyes tonight and am just confused.

imported_ChowHound is offline Senior Member

Shelby adores baby carrots. But then, Shelby adores all food, so I don't know if that is saying much. Actually we've never found anything that she won't eat. Guess not all Labs like carrots though -- we were dog sitting last weekend and I gave one to Shelby's chocolate buddy. He rolled it around in his mouth and then spit it out. It was on the ground about 1 nano-second before Shelby helped herself!
    <br />~ Laurie &amp; Shelby ~

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Mine will NOT eat calliflower (sp?), but will slurp down green beans and broccoil like they were candy. Go figure.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

A number of years back when Rocky was a young 2 year old I was cleaning out the back veggie garden in the fall, all veggies had been dug up or so I thought and I was getting things in order for the winter. Rocky starts snuffling and snorting and then he starts rooting around in the dirt like a hog with his snout. He dug up about a quarter row of small carrots I had missed and he was just gobbling them up. He probably ate as much dirt as he did carrots but he was very pleased with himself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast