Do your dogs go nuts for carrots? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do your dogs go nuts for carrots?

DefaultRe: Do your dogs go nuts for carrots?

Yup Toby loves carrots. My kids also use carrots to train him.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My beloved Bess liked all foods and stole, scavenged, and wolfed down everything edible she ran across -- with only two exceptions: raw onions and raw mushrooms.

My beloved Puff is much less food driven, she actually limits herself when given free feeding but I have her on a diet** that gives her about 1/4 cup less each day than she'd normally prefer so she's a bit more food attracted.

But Puff LOVES almost ALL fruit (bananas, apples, peaches, apricots, plums, etc., plus nuts such as peanuts and cashews). And cheeses. She's not that fond of vegetables (carrots, green beans, etc.).

================================================== =====

** diet: I'm very much influenced by the following study:

http://www.purina.com/science/resear...MoreYears.aspx

Those findings are similar to many other scientific animal dietary/nutritional studies on a variety of species which have produced very similar conclusions.

In the suburban living situation in which Puff and I exist, I don't have the control over access to food that exists in scientific food studies. So I've only decreased Puff's daily intake to about 90% of what would please her; at this level, I still have control over asking her to "Leave it!" when she finds something edible in the parking lot where we start our morning walks. And she begs for seconds at breakfast and supper just a few minutes before reconciling herself to none. I'm hoping her present very slightly restricted diet leads to a bit healthier and longer life.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Thanks guys! HK will eat just about anything. She will plead for whatever we have in our pockets that she can smell. When I put a treat bag on my belt, it is like, Okay! Okay! What do you want me to do? Now? This? No, how bout this? as she sits, downs, extends paw, settles (lays on side), and then repeats.

But sitting and staring at the frig for that long has not been done before.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

So funny you wrote this....Emma and Aidan do not like carrots but....as I have recently discovered, Ruby LOVES them!

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

ginger likes carrots and just about everything except lettuce...she spits it back out onto the floor.

Abbey and Gema both love carrots, but Tyson is a little fussier. One day I found him cleaning up bits of carrot from one of the girls, so I had to give him a little one of his own.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Every night I give the horses a carrot, as "their" good night treat..... the dogs have the routine down pat. I open the fridge and they are immediatley there..... heads stuck in waiting for the drawer to be opened and carrots brought out...... they get their carrot treat outside when I'm on the way to the barn. YES, they love carrots...... raw carrots........ they love raw green beans too.... this summer when I was breaking beans to wash and cook, they sat all around me, waiting for theirs......

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Neiko loves carrots. I'm always giving them to the horses, so catches what they dribble ;D

Billie will nudge me out of the way to get to the bag of carrots in the fridge. she loves them almost as much as peanut butter.

Kate is offline Senior Member

Add Misty to the carrot eaters (I actually put them in her kong) she also loves all vegetables except lettuce and celery.
    Aren't we comfortable!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast