Do you ever say something about this..? And how....?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you ever say something about this..? And how....?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo you ever say something about this..? And how....?

I see many dogs in my everyday life. At the Spca, at the dog park, in Petsmart, etc.

I would say that the majority of them are overweight, with a rough guesstimate of about 20-30% being (what I would consider) morbidly obese. :-\

There are a few at the dog park especially that I have bitten my tongue about. One, who I would consider in the 20-30% category, whose owner brags about being able to free-feed her with no problems. "And she's a lab, you know they're always a little chunky, they're supposed to be". : :-X

And another lady whose dog looked very uncomfortable in his movements. I would venture a guess and say that this dog has some sort of hip problem, but I'm obviously not a vet. This dog was also in that 20-30% category. And he was only 11 months old.

And with no exaggeration, I have met two beagles in my entire life that were not fat. And beagles are pretty popular around here.

So, do you say something in situations like this..?

And, if so, how..? "Hey your dog is fat" obviously isn't going to help anything.

Is there a way that you can say it that it might be received in a constructive way..? ???
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do you ever say something about this..? And how....?

My neighbors Lab, that I have heard for 6 years but only met last month, could lose 30-40% of her body weight and still be heavier than HK who is about the same height. I offerred to take her with me to the dog park on the weekend and then found out she has not seen a vet in five years and needed shots. I told them if they got the shots up to date, I would be willing to take her, but haven't heard anythign back.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I don't think it's your duty to point out the obvious. Nor do I think you should.

I personally feel this would be along the lines of pointing out to a person that they need to drop a few pounds. It just breaks all of Miss Manners rules.

Nope. No way. No how.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I would probably not say anything unless an opportunity presented itself. It is so sad that people allow their animals to get in that shape.

I often joke...actually is alot of truth to it...that I take better care of Tal and Midnight than I do myself. They are totally dependent on me for their care and I figure how can I betray that trust?

As for the woman who said that labs are supposed to be chunky...that's crap. Studies have shown that their chances of living longer and healthier are improved if they are a little on the lean side.

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

I would definitely say something, because I was a guilty fat lab owner, and my baby suffered from it. My last lab, Callie, was 115lbs (yes, you read correctly ). She was FAT and I was too stupid back then to listen to reason, and she suffered so much because of it. I'm determined to not let Riley get fat, she's at a good weight I think of 65 lbs. I don't know if it would make a difference by telling someone about the health issues, but I wouldn't be able to not tell somebody after my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ChowHound
    I don't think it's your duty to point out the obvious. Nor do I think you should.

I personally feel this would be along the lines of pointing out to a person that they need to drop a few pounds. It just breaks all of Miss Manners rules.

Nope. No way. No how.
    What I struggle with is this:

"IS it obvious?" I don't know that these people are aware of the very serious health risks their pets are facing due to obesity. So many pet owners will say, "He's so cute chubby".... I don't think that they realize the gravity of the situation.

I feel like everyone (pretty much) knows the health risks of being overweight themselves, but not everyone knows the risks that 4 legged animals face, know what I mean?

And, would I want someone to say something to me, if I really just didn't know..? I don't know. I would hope that I could be receptive to that. :-\
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Scout and friends Guest

You have to have rapport to say certain things. The point would most likely be missed.

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

Oh, I forgot about the 'how to tell them' that you ask. I would just come out and tell the human, dude, you dog is FAT. Please please please get your sweet pup on a diet. This is my experience........... and then I would go on to tell them my experience and stupidity (I would use my stupidity to "soften" my lashing ;D).

Quote Originally Posted by Scout
    You have to have rapport to say certain things. The point would most likely be missed.
    In a few of the cases mentioned, I do. How would I use that?
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

I would probably not say anything. But if I did, it would be something like "Has your vet said anything about your dog's weight?"
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast