I will learn to shut up at dog parks some day
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I will learn to shut up at dog parks some day

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultI will learn to shut up at dog parks some day

So HK is doing great and deserved a second visit to a dog park today. One a lot closer, smaller, without water. So the play begins with a Golden, a Boxer, a Viscila, two Heinz, and a small white Shitzu. Everybody is having a reat time chasing each other, bitey face, and paw boxing. Turns out I am the only guy there, the other owners are women. I iguess that I am the one that gets embarrassed because they are there.

Here comes a couple with two dogs, mid 20s is my guess. Realy cute and playful 6 month old pit and about a 45 pound Heinz. The Heinz starts trying to hump other dogs and gets to the Golden who initially could care less. No one is doing anything, and the Pit pup starts to mimick at the head of the Golden. The Golden has enough and shakes them off and the Heinz moves on to one after another. Not HK yet. The male of the couple makes a comment several times, 'Its just a dominance thing.' I have had enough, and go over to the guy and tell him the behavor is inappropriate and he should at least try to stop his dog from humping anything alive, or remove him. The guy comes back with asking me who appointed me the park cop. At this point I am thinking I may have opened my mouth and am headed for trouble, but was not going to back down. I told him that if his dog tried to hump mine, I would let it know it wasn't welcome and he would be able to get his dog back from animal control, as I took out my leash.

Thank you ladies. The next thing I know, the guy is surrounded by women and told to train his dog social skills or take him out. The couple left, but on their way out we could hear the female say, "I told you, you were a pig."

All is not always peace and friendly in the dog park. Dogs and Humans. But responsible people can stand together and take control of a situation without violence. Who knows what would have happened had the ladies not decided to join me.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I will learn to shut up at dog parks some day

Laura

Labby,

No comments about what happens within a family.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Well I'm not surprised she called him a pig. LOL

Laura

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Well I'm not surprised she called him a pig. LOL
    Me neither and if the shoe fits....

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

I had to finally seriously cut down to almost no off leash walks for myself and Rocky after I came within a whisker of bopping a guy in a pretty nasty confrontation. His dog was far far ahead of him and his little group. It did the jump hump on Rocky who has a very sore and stiff back hind end, knocking him to the ground in the process. I pushed the dog away and quietly seethed as the dog came back for more as the goof and his group came within sight. It tried the hump again and I pushed it away and lit into the owner who was just strolling upon the scene.

Alot of nasty words between the two of us and all the guy could bleat was about it being a dominance thing and that I knew f'all about dogs. I'm pretty mild by nature but I don't think I've been as mad as I was then in the last 20 years. Good thing I controlled my temper as he was a twig that I could have flattened very easily. I still get steamed thinking about it.

lablimo is offline Senior Member

Take a bow -- you did good!!

Quote Originally Posted by lablimo
    Take a bow -- you did good!!
    I may have taken step one, but all the owners worked together, spontaneously, to resolve it in a peaceful manner.

That is great that everyone came together and hopefully that guy has learned a little about acceptable behaviour.

Good for you I wish more people would step up and say something. Sometimes people just don't know that it is not ok for their dog to be humping other dogs. I bet he will start working with his dog trying to curb this behavior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast