Breeders with large number of dogs

Thread: Breeders with large number of dogs

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultBreeders with large number of dogs

This has been on my mind for awhile. Once in awhile I'll look at various breeder website (some from around me, others referred to on this site).

It amazes me at the number of dogs some of them have. 12+ (some closer to 20). How on earth does one family keep so many dogs? And show them if they are breeding stock?

However, I've known people on the lab boards with (close to) 10 who lived indoors and had great lives.

Is it more a question of the individual and how they manage that number of dogs and less question of how many they have (hey - you can have one dog and treat it badly right)?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Breeders with large number of dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    it more a question of the individual and how they manage that number of dogs and less question of how many they have (hey - you can have one dog and treat it badly right)?
    IMO, yes. For example, Essy's breeder has 12 dogs but they are not all breeding age. She has older adults as well as puppies she kept from a recent litter and all the ages in between. She stays home so the dogs have plenty of interaction. The dogs are well cared for and extremely well behaved (better than my 2 ). I don't have any issue with someone having that many dogs when they are in a situation like that.

#1: you MUST have unlimited source of income
    (especially if you are not selling them all)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Its all individual. There are people who I think shouldn't have one dog but others who have 12+ and the dogs are healthy and happy.

Laura

Tanya is offline Senior Member

thanks so never judge a book by it's cover!
    I guess I just can't imagine having that many dogs!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Gabby's breeder had a large number of dogs. I had concerns about the number, but my fiance pointed out how happy, healthy, and loved they were.

There were later problems with this breeder, but his number of dogs really had nothing to do with it.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    Gabby's breeder had a large number of dogs. I had concerns about the number, but my fiance pointed out how happy, healthy, and loved they were.

There were later problems with this breeder, but his number of dogs really had nothing to do with it.
    Replace "fiance" with "boyfriend", and "his" with "her", and I could have written that exact same statement.

ETA: oh, and replace "Gabby" with "Baloo"......Ok so maybe I would have just had a similar statement, and not exact, per se.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Ha, sometimes we should trust our gut instead of our guys, eh, Kate?

But then I wouldn't have gotten Gabs and I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    Ha, sometimes we should trust our gut instead of our guys, eh, Kate?

But then I wouldn't have gotten Gabs and I wouldn't trade her for the world.
    This is true. I think it all worked out in the end.

(but next time, I'm visiting breeder's alone!)

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

There are some very well-known breeders who have many dozens of dogs. It's more of a "livestock" approach. From what I hear, the dogs aren't mistreated, although it certainly doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy to think about it.

Theo's breeder had about 16 dogs on her 120-acre farm. Not all were in the house with her, obviously. They had immaculate, spacious, and comfortable kennels, and she had a complex system where the dogs would rotate through the house. Also the older dogs would live in the house. They also all got daily training and people time from her and her bevy of sweet teenage girls who worked in her boarding kennel. It seemed to work out.