my houseguest (pics)

Thread: my houseguest (pics)

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Defaultmy houseguest (pics)

Meet Boomer.

He's my temporarty foster this week while we're back in Houston. He's in the STLRR rescue program, and I really, really hope he finds his forever home (or at least a longer-term foster home) soon. Right now, he's being boarded at a very nice kennel facility where there are some other labs in the rescue program as well. But he LOVES being in a home.

Toys are his favorite thing (except maybe snuggling, which is his other favorite thing).

Outside is OK, too:

He's about a year old, still has a lot of puppy-goofiness about him, and just couldn't be sweeter. He's going to make someone a wonderful, loving companion. He's exceptionally affectionate and eager to please. Sadly (and unsurprisingly), he's completely untrained and only partially housebroken, he knows zero commands and didn't initially get the walking on a leash thing. He took very quickly to the Martingale collar, though, and he already gets excited when he sees the leash. I've been working on "sit" with him over the last two days, and we're making some progress. I don't think he was ever taught to fetch. :'( He'll chase a ball for a bit, but he'd really rather just play with it than run after it. Though he will happily bring it back to you and he's excellent at giving it to you, he's got a really soft mouth. He LOVES to snuggle and sit on laps. I'm working on "no jumping", too, and he's picking up quickly.

Yesterday I confined him to Toby's old x-pen, set up in the downstairs bedroom like I used to do for Toby. When I came home a few hours later, he was happily running around the house loose. Somehow he'd gotten out. He didn't knock it over, and the door was still securely latched. It's 4 feet tall, so he didn't go over. I think he somehow got under it and wriggled free. :-\ But the good news is he didn't have any accidents and he only chewed up one piece of foam packing material - everything else (including all the things we've bought here to bring back to Tripoli and which were easily accessible) was untouched. Personally, I suspect he spent the day lounging on the sofa. ;D Today while I'm in the office for the morning, he's in Chamois's old crate which is much more secure and has a bottom to it, and I doubt he'll manage to Houdini his way out of that one. olice:

I'm going to be sad when I take him back to the kennel tomorrow evening (but we're leaving Saturday). But the good news is that he's already neutered and HW negative, so he's ready to be adopted as soon as he finds the right person. And I believe that there's someone interested in looking at him this weekend, and now that he's been evaluated in a home, I think there may also be another volunteer who's possibly interested in taking him in for fostering. Either way, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. And in the meantime, I'm really enjoying having him around.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: my houseguest (pics)

He sounds like such a wonderful boy. What a sweet face. I hope he gets his forever home soon.

What a great idea to foster him while you're home. You got your Lab fix and helped out a boy in need.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

What a cutie. Hope he gets his new forever home in no time!!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Awww what a sweet face!!!

He's adorable I hope he gets adopted soon at least he's had a few fun days if he does have to go back to the kennel for a bit though.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

What a good-looking boy he is! He's sure to get a forever home very soon.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

He's a doll. He's going to have a great life.