Adding another male
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding another male

DefaultAdding another male

We have a 3 1/2 year old male who has had very little interaction with other dogs. Someone at work is moving and cannot take there 10 month old male with them and is looking for a home for him.
    I am very tempted. One of my biggest concerns is, will they both urinate in the house marking their territory? Hershey has not went in the house since he was like 3 months old. He was super easy to house train.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Adding another male

Could you give us a little more information about your current male? is he a rescue? why has he had very little interaction with other dogs? how is he around other dogs that you know of?

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Tucker was 4 when we brought puppy Frankie home at 9 weeks. There has never been an issue and the two of them are the best of friends. Tucker taught Frankie everything, they're so funny together.

Do it!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We got him when he was 12 weeks old from a local family. (I suppose BYB would be the correct term) Yes, this was before I starting reading on this site and knew everything I know now. Hershey lives like a king with us, inside, and is spoiled rotten.
    There has just never been any reason to have interaction with other dogs. We live in the country so it isn't like we've ever needed to go to a dog park.

Are either of these boys nuetered?

I have two boys (4yrs and 8months) and have no issues. That being said, my dogs are VERY well socialized and used to being around other dogs of both sexes and I often have other dogs here at my house.

labby is offline Senior Member

Same as Nicole here. Two boys though one is just 4 months. He's very sexual for his age though but so far we haven't had any problems. Seamus is intact and has been used at stud and he never gets grumpy around other males (he loves Nicole's Darwin) and has never marked in the house even with bitches in season.

If your boy is friendly with other males, then go for it.

Laura

Hershey is neutered, I haven't asked yet about the new one.

blackjack is offline Senior Member

Three males here - 5, 3 and 7 mos. Only the youngest in intact. Nobody marks in the house. Maybe you could have a trial meeting and see how your dog reacts?

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

Trickster is offline Senior Member

How was he with the last dog (or dogs) he interacted with if you can remember?

I think a dog who is used to being a spoilt only dog and who rarely gets interaction with other dogs probably won't be too thrilled about a new arrival. That doesn't mean to say there will be aggression...just one grumpy pooch who initially will be unhappy at having to share his space with others. I'm not saying that WILL happen, but it's possible. IMO, a dog who has been extensively socialized with other dogs and who is used to interacting with them regularly will find the transition much easier than a dog who has had neither.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LovinHershey

There has just never been any reason to have interaction with other dogs. We live in the country so it isn't like we've ever needed to go to a dog park.
    Here's a reason: Socialization. It is very important in order for a dog to lead a balanced, happy life.

I don't take my dogs to a dog park for exercise, they get that on daily walks and rough-housing in the house. I go so that my dogs can socialize with other dogs. Because it's important to me that they are able to do that on a regular basis.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast