New Owner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Owner

DefaultNew Owner

We just adopted a 7 month old lab who has NEVER been in a house before. He sits out of the way and really does not interact w/us. He is afraid of us. Today I came home for lunch and walked him. Then put him on a runner because there is a part of the fence where he can get out. (My husband is in the process of closing it up) When I hooked him on the runner he freaked out and almost choked himself. I took him off it right a away,but now he's afraid of me. PLEASE help me regain his trust.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Katies Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New Owner

How about getting down on his level. Seriously standing OVER him may be freaking him out. Patience, patience, patience. He has to learn to trust and that will take time.

I sat on the floor w/ him for 2 hrs and took him for walks again. Even tried to give him a treat. He is going to the vet tomorrow for the first time. Someone said to try classes because he is not use to people.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Katies Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry that I have no advice. I guess socializing will be a major help. I feel sorry for your baby being so scared.

I just feel so bad. We want him to feel loved. Maybe in a week thing will change. He has not been here long.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I think with time, he'll trust you more and more. Can you keep walking him on leash in the yard for now? Just be patient; I've heard stories of rescued dogs turning to be the most loyal companions after the initial uncertainty period passes.

Thanks, I'm not giving up. I'm going to see what the vet says

Good for you for rescuing this boy. He must be scared to death. I think a good physical is a great idea. and then just..time time and more time. Be patient with him and he will come around. There are so many amazing rescue stories from people on this board. You will have lots of support if you need it. Congrats!

Its great you rescued him..
    Get down on the floor with FOOD! Have patience and prove him he has no reason to be afraid of you. Talk with calm voice and gentle manners...

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Ernie was like this when I adopted him at 3.5.
    The sound of the phone ringing, coffee boiling, or me dropping a slipper sent himto a panic. He stood on the other side of the room ready to flee.

I closed all the doors and sat watching T.V. I talked softly to him and eventually he lay down with his back in the corner. He sits on top of me now. We still have issues, but he is a different dog.

Slowly, patiently and gently worked for me.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast