At My Witts End (UPDATED*poor puppy ) UPDATED AGAIN 10.14.07
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At My Witts End (UPDATED*poor puppy ) UPDATED AGAIN 10.14.07

DefaultAt My Witts End (UPDATED*poor puppy ) UPDATED AGAIN 10.14.07

****UPDATED 10.14.2007 **** Well we took Zeus off of the canned food and wahhhllllaaaa no diarrhea. yay for dry food. ) our only problem is now he is peeing in his kennel. we got him his own kennel and put the divider thing in so he only has enough room to lay and stand up. but just wanted to let you guys know atleast he feels better even though he seems to like to lay in his pee?!

****So i cleaned everything up and we had a good evening and we took him out one last time before bed and he had diarrhea. Well we put them to bed and made a deal that as soon as we heard him whimper we would take him back out. well either we slept hard or he didnt whimper cause i woke up and whoa the smell told me instantly that i had two dirty dogs and a naasty kennel to clean. i took him out and he went potty a few times and i brought them in. my husband said he might put zeus in the fenced in back yard for the morning and put his water bowl and some food out and also put the kennel out with a blanket over top for a shaded area to sleep unless under a tree is more appealing. ) atleast we know he isn't pottying in the kennel because he can't hold it but because it comes on so quick. i am going to have to figure out how to make his belly stop so he can feel better. any ideas for doggie diarrhea ? thank you

So Zeus has been doing so well the past two weeks with crate training. a few accidents in the house but nothing major until NOW. I just for the second day in a row cleaned up poop from the dog kennel and had to bath both dogs. my house stinks the zeus scratched the crap out of me while bathing him and i feel like he is having a brain lapse. we are gone for a good portion of the daytime but these past two days are the only times he has gone to the bathroom in the kennel. any ideas on how to stop this? we havent changed anything. we take him outside a bazillion times a day. he eats at 3 pm and about 7 pm so that we are home when he eats and are able to take him out when he needs to go. but now a days both dogs want to be outside alot so they are outside for a total of two hours running in the fence. they are usually out for periods of 10-30 minutes at a time and then come hang out with us for awhile and then go back out side. i don't know what we can do from here to stop this behavior. please help me with some good ideas. i hope all this the past two days doesnt change my husbands mind back to making him an outside dog when he is full grown.
    thank you everyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: At My Witts End

Isn't he only like 7-8 weeks old..?

They have accidents at that age. Usually a lot of them. Expect more.

This is all part and parcel of having a puppy. :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Isn't he only like 7-8 weeks old..?

They have accidents at that age. Usually a lot of them. Expect more.

This is all part and parcel of having a puppy. :-\
    i just never thought he would do it in the kennel ....but then again julio my silky was a breeze so maybe i am thinking this would be that easy too.... thank you so much for bringing me back to reality about it. i guess i needed to vent

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He is still a wee little baby; really should have still been with him mom. It's going to take him a while and he is too young to hold his bladder for long periods of time. He also needs to be fed more than at 3pm and 7pm. Did you mean 7am? He should be eating at least 3X/day...maybe even 4 at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe
    He is still a wee little baby; really should have still been with him mom. It's going to take him a while and he is too young to hold his bladder for long periods of time. He also needs to be fed more than at 3pm and 7pm. Did you mean 7am? He should be eating at least 3X/day...maybe even 4 at that age.
    i give him a handful of food in the morning before i go to work but i dont really consider it a meal since its probably 1/2 cup. then he eats like a pig at 3pm....we give him almost a full can of wet food and another handful of dry food. at 7 pm he gets another 1/2 cup of food. thank you too for bringing me back to reality on the fact it takes time. i guess i am not used to getting such a young pup.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

It may also be that the kennel is too big. Try blocking off part of it to make it smaller. Zeus should have just enough room to turn around and lie down comfortably, but not enough to do the kangaroo squat!

Okay, I have to leave, but hopefully someone else will come on and give you some pointers on a puppy that young. He really shouldn't "eat like a pig" at one sitting...he could end up with bloat or tummy troubles and then you will really have a mess. There is a link somewhere to puppy feeding/training...I'll look for it a bit later if someone doesn't pull it up in the meantime!

Just Breathe. I know it can be trying when they are so young but it's pretty normal. How long is he in the crate during the day? How big is his crate? It should be just big enough for him to lay down and turn around. If it's too big he's more likley to have an accident. At most he can probably only hold it 3-4 hours at this point maybe not even that long sometimes. It takes time and all dogs are different.

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    Just Breathe. I know it can be trying when they are so young but it's pretty normal. How long is he in the crate during the day? How big is his crate? It should be just big enough for him to lay down and turn around. If it's too big he's more likley to have an accident. At most he can probably only hold it 3-4 hours at this point maybe not even that long sometimes. It takes time and all dogs are different.
    thank you i needed a breath. we he is actually is sharing my silky's kennel since i thought i would be easier to transition him into his own kennel. he is in the kennel for periods of 2-4 hours at a time. i come home for lunch and my husband comes for lunch at a different time and so he atleast gets outside about every 4 hours at the longest. but i am home from work at 3 and then they are out until and about until about 10 at night. i just wish he didnt hate baths so much. he loves swimming but he hates the bath tub. my neck down to my finger tips are scratched. well i am hoping to get a handle on the feeding and kenneling and maybe make adjustments to his feeding schedule a little so he gets more even meals instead of having one big meal a day and two small ones. thank you again

DefaultRe: At My Witts End (UPDATED*poor puppy )

He probably needs to be dewormed...has he seen a vet at all and had any of his puppy shots and been dewormed?
    What are you feeding him?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast