Kinda pissed!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kinda pissed!

DefaultKinda pissed!

Will i really don't know if i told you guys how excited i was to be taking upcoming puppy classes with Jackson. Plans were i was going to continue training with him up till he was old enough to start doing so rally stuff. Well after all the prework i have done with jackson, the walks and just simply working with him all the time, my wife wants to be the handler at the classes now:'(. I told her i was disappointed and that i had plans for him and i. She thinks that the classes are going to help him listen to her. I told her that she just needs to do more with him when she is here with him. I feel he listens to me because I'm the one doing all the discipline and training/bonding.

End rant.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Kinda pissed!

Time for a second Lab!!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

For Baloo's first puppy class, Dan and I both went every week. We would take turns having him do exercises and such, and I think it helped us both bond to him.

Now I'm taking him further along in his "career" taking competition classes, and Dan doesn't mind. Mostly because I think he saw what it was about, knows how to enforce the basics and he's happy with that.

Is that something that you could do, maybe?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Tough call. But maybe she's the one who really needs to participate in the classes before she's fully comfortable doing things with him more at home (i.e. they'll help him lsten to her because it will teach her how to be listened to). I know that when we did Toby's puppy obedience class I learned far more than the he did, and it was really important in teaching me how to communicate with a dog (I'd only ever had cats before).

Just a thought.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    Time for a second Lab!!
    LOL. Yeah. Thats what i was thinking but i have to be realistic. I know dogs are very smart and that i would still be able to go on and do rally with him but i feel like she is stealing my bonding time. She is a SAHM and she is here all the time with him. I know it would probably help her become a better handler but its not that she doesn't know how to do it. Its that she just doesn't she is not consitant. I feel i should have beenthe one going to the classes seeing how this is my first dog, Shes had like 3.

End Rant.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Hmmmm! Let me think. There must be a positive.

Yep! This is better than DW showing no interest in Jackson and suggesting that you get rid of him.

Baloo's suggestion may work for you, i.e. sharing the training classes.

Or, how about Dweck's? Maybe there is a rescue out there about the same age?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I dont think we could do another dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by TobysTrix
    and it was really important in teaching me how to communicate with a dog
    Well that would be the main reason i would think that i would be the handler due to what we want to try yo do in the future with Rally and all.

Why can't you take two classes?

Most of the time there is a weeknight one offered and a Saturday one offered. One of you take the weeknight one and the other one of you take the Saturday one. If thats not the case, why don't you find another place that has a similar style of training that you're comfortable with that has a puppy class you can take on a different night?

Also, you can enter AKC rally at six months, so if he is doing loose leash walking/heeling, etc, with you- maybe you can find a rally class and she can do the puppy class.

Young dogs are sponges- just keep it fun and he'll be fine with two classes.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I also found sharing in the experience good for Dan and I's relationship as well, for what it's worth.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    Why can't you take two classes?

Most of the time there is a weeknight one offered and a Saturday one offered. One of you take the weeknight one and the other one of you take the Saturday one. If thats not the case, why don't you find another place that has a similar style of training that you're comfortable with that has a puppy class you can take on a different night?

Also, you can enter AKC rally at six months, so if he is doing loose leash walking/heeling, etc, with you- maybe you can find a rally class and she can do the puppy class.

Young dogs are sponges- just keep it fun and he'll be fine with two classes.
    That would be great but my work sked and having the girls wont allow us to take to classes. Wont rally at that age be bad his his joints and plates. I just really feels like she is stealing my work, as selfish as that may sound. :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast