Who also uses the: "Clicker training methode" ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who also uses the: "Clicker training methode" ?

Felix Guest

DefaultWho also uses the: "Clicker training methode" ?

As i already described it in my topic title, who also uses this methode to train his or her dog(s) ?

Since i've started learning this methode, i was amazed on how fast you can train and learn 'things' to dog(s) by this methode

And the fun part is, that the clicker methode is real fun for both (dog <> human) ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Who also uses the: "Clicker training methode" ?

Been using this method Fin and Abby (both adult rescues) and they love it. Fin is very treat motivated so he gets very excited when we start something. You're right, it's great fun. I've been using it work with Fin on Rally Obedience-trust me, we are beginners, but also use it for the basics. My daughters (10- and 12) and I also have fun doing things like '1001 things to with a box'. It's amazing to watch him think, and try to figure out the desired behavior. For my daughters, they enjoy taking part in the training. It's taught them alot, about patience, shaping behaviors, working toward a goal, etc. It's fun when their friends come over and they ask to show their friends how it works!

Karen Pryor has a great website--have you seen it?

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Does the clicker method work when really needed - when dogs are excited over something else? I think the main training problem most of us have are those occasions when the dog is focused on something which excites him/her and ignores any command. Will the clicker also be ignored then? How often I have heard the dog is A+ in obedience class, then comes home, an unexpected visitor causes excitement, dog jumps on him ignores down command. Dog has 100% recall in training session, looks out the window to see a strange dog or cat in his yard, will a clicker stop the dog from chasing the invader out of his territory? I have thought of trying the clicker method, but wondered if it's just a training gimmick or can it really redirect focus in "excited"situations.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clicker fans here....started with Aidan and now I am using it on Ruby. They do pick things up quickly once they make the association, I agree.

I use both clicker and positive reinforcement with Henry! I didn't use it until just recently when we started competitive obedience.

momofalab is offline Senior Member

I have been to petsmart, and have seen "clickers", is there a book that you are using for training? I have never thought of clicker training, but wouldn't mind reading up on it.

-Shannon

What I don't get about the clicker is how to use it to actually teach a new behaviour. Dexter knows the click means a treat, but where do you go from there? Say I want to teach him to roll over. When he lays down, I click, right? Then what?? How do you get him to do the roll part? I like the idea of the clicker, I'm just baffled by the process.

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

I use a clicker with Molly.

It makes it easy to begin shaping a behavior, and then once it is learned I usually just end up with the positive reinforcement whether it be a treat or verbal praise (or both)

*Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    Does the clicker method work when really needed - when dogs are excited over something else?
    No one training method will be 100% foolproof, but if you have trained a solid foundation (whether using a clicker or not) you stack the deck that your dog will respond to you in all situations.

What I love about clicker is that it teaches the dog to think and make choices. I'm not forcing the dog into a sit and then rewarding/praising him, I'm either luring or shaping the behaviour I want. (And to anticipate the inevitable question, I'll quote Susan Garrett - Positive does NOT equal Permissive. Controlling resources and using non-physical 'corrections' can be just as effective as leash pops or electric 'nicks'. )

Quote Originally Posted by Sara
    What I don't get about the clicker is how to use it to actually teach a new behaviour. Dexter knows the click means a treat, but where do you go from there? Say I want to teach him to roll over. When he lays down, I click, right? Then what?? How do you get him to do the roll part? I like the idea of the clicker, I'm just baffled by the process.
    Using your roll over question - a clicker purist will demand that you use shaping exclusively. Once he is laying down, wait for him to roll over on one hip. c/t. Then wait for him to lay his head flat on the ground. c/t. wait for any movement of the shoulders or legs c/t.

Personally, for that, I would use a combination of luring and shaping. Show the dog a high-value treat, and then use it as a lure to bend the dog's head towards its shoulder, then over his back, c/t'ing for each movement of his head and body. (Having said that, I have shaped Sophie's rollover - once a dog is clicker and shaping savvy, they will start offering possibilities to get that almighty click.

HOWEVER, if I have asked for something that I have already trained and I know she knows (ie a Down) and she starts offering behaviours, I will step in and insist on the specific behaviour. When shaping, I don't give any verbal or hand signal.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I've just started using a clicker, I like it, they only thing that irritates me is trying to have it, and a treat, and the leash in my hands, and then trying to "shape" the dog.

One thing that I'm very glad I did with both dogs - I got them used to me touching them and moving them around physically (not harshly, just gently) so that they are used to me physically putting them into a certain position, or into doing a certain action, without getting confused and upset.

For example, when I taught Peanut to roll over, I would actually physically roll her over, then click and treat. She picked it up in about 10 minutes.

I like the clicker, when I can find room for it. :P

If I don't have it on me, I just use "YES!!" (the dogs recognize both as positive markers)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast