Neem Oil, Fleas and Itching
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neem Oil, Fleas and Itching

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeem Oil, Fleas and Itching

OK, I have a stupid question:

Would I be able to see fleas? Or evidence of fleas?

Back story: I stopped giving them Advantix to try Neem Oil. I've been spraying them once weekly for oh, a couple of months. I was hoping to get them (especially Angus) off chemicals whenever possible.

Simon has gotten VERY itchy the past couple of weeks. He's scratching at his trunk and front legs quite a bit. He was scratching this way before, when he had the bacterial skin infection. We got him antibiotics and it seemed to clear up.

Now Angus, in the past few days, is doing a little scratching too.

I have looked very, very closely at their skin, especially on their bellies where it seems to be bothering them, and I can't see any fleas or flea dirt. ??? What I have noticed with Simon is a lot of dry, flaky skin...like doggie dandruff. Nothing like this on Angus, but he has the itchies too.

So I bought some fish oil caplets today. I am wondering whether I should try those, or just bite the bullet and dose them with Advantix again.

The question is: If it were fleas, wouldn't I see *something*?

TIA

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Neem Oil, Fleas and Itching

You will be able to see fleas on the dog, but a sure-fire way to know if you have them or not is to put the dogs on white paper, sheet, or a towel (must be completely white) and run your hands going against the grain of the hair. If any black dots appear on the white surface, and they turn reddish brown when wet, you have fleas. The black dots are called "flea dirt" and I'm pretty sure its their droppings.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Yes, you can see fleas.. HOWEVER, if you have a dog sensitive to flea bites, it only takes one little bite to start the itching. This is how Ruger is. I don't have to see a flea on him, but if he gets bitten, he gets hotspots. I have to use the Frontline on him every 3 weeks when he's swimming all the time.

I don't think there is any better alternative to flea prevention than Frontline or Advantix. The holistic/herbal stuff just does not cut it, unfortunately.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hmm...funny you should ask. We've found a few fleas in the last week also...perhaps the weather's right for fleas around here. I've been trying to figure out how she could get fleas given that we use Frontline Plus religiously and don't do THAT much swimming ??? ???

Violetsfolks, but I haven't actually *seen* any fleas. ??? Although I do remember reading that Sept-Oct were the worst times.

I'm going to try the white paper trick.

Simon has always been Mr. Itchy Scratch. He's always had this really dry, flaky skin. I'm wondering if (hoping) it's just that. :-\

Connie and "The Boys":

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Look behind their ears and around the base of the tail--very popular spots for fleas. (Around their privates is another favorite flea spot to hang out.) On a black dog like Simon it is very hard to see flea dirt, so the white sheet is a good idea.
    If you can see fleas--you've got a major flea problem. They are very quick!
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Are you feeding any kind of oils?

I feed my dogs fish twice a week. Their coats are amazingly shiny. I've also supplimented with Flaxseed Oil. You might try that for the itchy dry flake coat.

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JeffersonsMom
    Look behind their ears and around the base of the tail--very popular spots for fleas. (Around their privates is another favorite flea spot to hang out.) On a black dog like Simon it is very hard to see flea dirt, so the white sheet is a good idea.
    If you can see fleas--you've got a major flea problem. They are very quick!
    This is where I find fleas on Sam. They especially like to hide in the fur around her privates. I caught one there last night. You'll be able to see them on Angus no problem as he's light coloured, but they're fast little buggers. I catch them between my thumb and nail. Then I squish'em between my nails.

A bath is a good way to get the fleas to try to jump ship. You'll see them then if he has them.

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Are you feeding any kind of oils?

I feed my dogs fish twice a week. Their coats are amazingly shiny. I've also supplimented with Flaxseed Oil. You might try that for the itchy dry flake coat.
    Funny you should ask!

One of the nut doctor's recommendations for Angus was Flaxseed oil, which I've also been giving Simon. This has been oh, a week or two now.

Today I picked up some Salmon oil capsules for Simon, and I just gave him his first one. Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil 1000 mg.

Oh...performed the paper test. Positive for lots of black hair. :P Negative for flea dirt.

Connie and "The Boys":

I might just take him in to the dog food lady for a bath. He hasn't had a bath since the shelter :P She will be able to help advise me too. Good idea!

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast