Retreat of the Labradork
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retreat of the Labradork

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRetreat of the Labradork

Wife talked me into going on a church retreat because we could take the dogs. Checkmate. No other moves. End of game. We went. Left Friday night at five pm and got into the State park about 8 pm. Interesting place a state park. After dark there are no landmarks. It is the closest I usually get to thrill rides, though Wife says she never has to go to an amusement park because she rides with me and that is thrill enough. And I thought she was being romantic, but I digress.

Going on a trip with two adults for the weekend is easy. Took five minutes. Two bags, three changes of clothes a piece, a book or two, done. Add three dogs to the equation and it took over an hour an hour to load the car. Partially because there were three dogs that were afraid they were either going or not going, being very curious ("Watchadoin?") a cross between Velcro and the Invisible dog. Jack was in the car hoping I had already packed the food like last time. HA! I learned from my mistake. Last thing in and waaaay in the back under the heavy stuff. Baby was Velcro dog, and Tina was the queen, who had no intention of going anywhere. Three dog beds, four raised dog dishes, two sucky balls ( for Jck and Tina) her Majesty's favorite plush bone, His Excellency's favorite tennis ball on steroids, one box of dog cookies, one box of cracker, one jar of peanut butter, one bottle of Baby meds left on the counter, one tub of food supplements left on the counter, two X pens, two air mattresses for the old bearded fat guy, five dog towels, linen and blankets for said OBFG, and the map to the place with all the phone numbers, left at Wife's place of employment. Keeping Jack in the car while I coaxed Tina into the van took about 20 minutes. Is was a pleasent trip.

Friday night and Saturday everybody had a good time. Even the church people who had said "Oh. You're bringing you big dogs?" were complimentary. Then came Sunday morning. Everybody was still smiling but Jack lived up to Labradork. The pirate returned.

Jack has a job. He is sort of the Sous Chef. His job is to fetch the cans of beans from the the pantry, bring them to me, and put them in my hand. I then open the cans and he is rewarded with a meal of dry kibble, joint supplement and green beans with a peanut butter cracker for dessert. Except the OBFG forgot the meds and the supplement which might explain why he kept slam dunking the cans on my foot.

The pantry for this weekend was the van. We kept the dog cookies, crackers, peanut butter, and the beans in the van. It was parked in front of the cabin. This structure was built between 1933 and 1942 by the Conservation Corp. Very solid wood construction. Two bunk beds bolted to the floor, one 20 amp electrical circuit, the holiday Inn it is not. The restrooms are conveniently located 100 yards a way down a gravel road and across bumpy ground. These we had scoped out with the dogs.

Sunday morning we awake well after the start of the breakfast hour. The dogs had let us sleep in. They wanted fed. Experience Saturday taught us these were not really church people we were with but hungry locusts. OK I paniced. Though I don't look like I miss many meals, this was one meal I did not want to miss. I got moving.

"Jack, Go get me beans." I open the door to the cabin and he walks out the door and wanders off to salute the various trees and fauna he had become acquainted with and finally meandered over to the van about the time my bladder reminded me I needed to visit an acquaintance myself. But I tried mind over matter. In this case it was mind of Labradork and I lost. HI could see his tail wagging through the window of the van. Not a good sign. Jack saw me coming and managed to wolf down six of the dog cookies. When I got there he was very apologetic. "Oh. Beans! Duh! What was I thinking? Where's your foot? " So much for mind over matter. "Wife! Please finish feeding the dogs I gotta go!" and off I went. The 100 yard dash has never been my event. It was a very long 100 yards.

Shortly after I left, Wife sent Jack after another can of beans. Instead of heading for the van, he went off in search me. He had nose to the ground and moving at a good clip. At the turn off he paused long enough to sniff the air and made the turn. She caught up with him as he circled the building looking for me. I came out as they were on the far side and soon he caught my scent again and I heard " "Jaack!" and turned to see Jack boring down on me, Wife in pursuit. Jack got to me first. The grin on his face said it all. "Oh There you are! I really worry when you wander off without me. You really should have told me you were coming down here I would have been very happy to accompany you."

Back at the cabin I decided if I were fruit I would be very ripe and decided to go back to take a shower. Wife was filling the water dishes when she heard nose against door and turned to see the door closing. Knowing that he had undertaken another quest she grabbed the leash and took off in pursuit. She saw Jack gallop past a fellow retreater and make the turn for the bath house. When Wife passed him he said "I passed the other end of the leash by the shower room. He is obviously on a mission."

Jack met up with some young admirers and was soon on a leash and back at the cabin. Once we got back home he climbed up on the couch and was soon asleep. He really looks angelic when he is asleep. Argh Argh.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Retreat of the Labradork

Thanks for the Sunday night laugh! Jack you are just smoochable! :-*

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Andy, Ilove your stories. Jack sounds just like Buddy. He was the same way when we went to the beach for a week this summer.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That was hysterical! Thanks, I needed that

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Your accounts of these episodes are delightful, Andy -- thanks!
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

Love your narration!

2labcrew is offline Senior Member

That was great! Thanks for the smile...and, can I have Jack now? ;D
    Miriam , Digger, and Kodi

lablover is offline Senior Member

Oh Andy, it is so good to read your stories. I know we miss them around here. Sounds like Jack had a great weekend! ;D

lol andy that as great....I love Jack stories

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

Oh, I just loved your story. Great way to start the day.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast