Question about switching to EVO and tummy issues

Thread: Question about switching to EVO and tummy issues

DefaultQuestion about switching to EVO and tummy issues

I started the gradual switch to EVO Large Bites last night, about a quarter of a cup of EVO, three quarters of a cup of her old food and a tablespoon of the Eagle Pack holistic herb tummy stuff the dog food lady said would help ease the transition since EVO is so rich and grain free.

This morning when we took Billie out to potty, she pooped twice (never does this) and both times there was red in her poop. I couldn't tell if it was blood or if this is something that just comes with the EVO because of the formulation of the food. She wasn't uncomfortable or anything. It was not diarrhea.

Any thoughts? I'm witholding food just to be safe.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about switching to EVO and tummy issues

If you are seeing red and you know she hasn't gotten into anything then its prolly blood. The colon is made up of little blood vessels so a little bit of blood isn't something to panic over, but it is worrysome. Sometimes straining will cause a bleed.

My dogs had absolutely no luck on EVO. They had really bad stools and it just never agreed with them. One of the dogs I produced actually had pancreatitis from the EVO. So while its a good food for some, its not for others. Only you can determine if its best for your dog.

Laura

Hmm. Well I did board her for one night (Friday) so she was on Avoderm (sp?) and two foods in two days might've screwed with her. I wasn't thinking about that and shouldn't have started the switch. Stupid.

I'll let her settle today and try again tomorrow. If it happens again I'll take her in and see what's what.

Thanks Laura. I really want her on grain free food to see if I can rid of the itchy/gunkies but if EVO isn't it then I'll move on...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

EVO is pretty hearty....I didn't transition the switch with Rider...I guess I am in the minority with adult dogs. With pups it's different...but with adults, I just usually switch from one food to the next...never had a problem...even with fosters.

But if there is red in it...it's prolly not a good thing. I hope you figure out what's wrong.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

i held her off food for 24 hours until her gut was clear of anything and everything.

I fed her and there was her normal Nutro colored poo and a little darker colored poo in there too but I wasn't seeing the red streaks in there like I was before.

Sheesh. This is really tough. If I see it again I guess I'll call the vet. I figured with the change from food with grains to a food with no grains I better go gradual since the food is so vastly different but maybe I better do a fast then then just go with the EVO?

Cripes.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Keep in mind that there is probably a significant difference in kcal/cup ratios between the nutro and evo, feeding too much can cause some pretty major problems too.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Keep in mind that there is probably a significant difference in kcal/cup ratios between the nutro and evo, feeding too much can cause some pretty major problems too.
    She's getting about 1/8 cup EVO and the rest Nutro right now. I have to calculate how much EVO she'll be getting. Right now it's just a very gradual mix into her Nutro...very little EVO into her normal 1 cup ration of Nutro.

But yes, I want to make sure that she doesn't get overloaded. No way I go by the bag recommendations on any food. kcals is how I'll figure it, like I did with Nutro.