Are Chocolate Labs rare?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Chocolate Labs rare?

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultAre Chocolate Labs rare?

Are Chocolate Labs rare, or not as common as blacks and yellows?

I have been considering adding another dog and I have been looking for a Chocolate Lab.

I have been considering a rescue but there doesn’t seem to be too many chocolates out there plenty of blacks and yellows though…even through breeders I see Chocolats's more expencive then the others.

Just curious..

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Are Chocolate Labs rare?

No they aren't rare. Some breeders specialize in chocolates some, like myself, don't breed them sticking with yellows and blacks.

Remind me where you are.

Laura

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

No, they are not rare. However, they are not as popular amongst the reputable breeders as the yellows and blacks. You have to be very extra dilligent when researching breeders when looking for chocolates as there are quite a few BYB's out there....And a good breeder will not be charging MORE for a chocolate.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't say they're rare. Although I definitely see more yellows and blacks.

Dani is offline Senior Member

no they aren't rare...i see more blacks and chocolates in rescue than yellows.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Jinx is offline Senior Member

BYB's will breed anything where the demand is high for a particular breed. they don't just target chocolate labs. you have to be just as diligent with respect to finding a reputable breeder when searching for a yellow or a black simply because they are easier to find(atleast in my area) and thus easier to find one that is less expensive for breeding purposes.

i have two chocolates. both came from the same breeder who is in my opinion a reputable breeder. she charged based on pedigree, not color. and there was no discrepancy in price based on sex either.

if you are looking for a rescue then chocolates do exist there. they probably aren't as prevalent because there are so many more blacks and yellows being breed. if you go with a rescue then a breeder's reputation is a moot point. check with some of the rescuers on this site that are in your area or are willing to transport.
    Its all fun and games until the flying monkeys attack

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    No, they are not rare. However, they are not as popular amongst the reputable breeders as the yellows and blacks. You have to be very extra dilligent when researching breeders when looking for chocolates as there are quite a few BYB's out there....And a good breeder will not be charging MORE for a chocolate.

I totally agree. I have 2 Chocolates. Once I found a Breeder that I believed in and felt good about, I waited 6 months for Jake and could not be happier. I also have Ginger who was a rescue of sorts from a family member. Don't know as much about her, but she is a sweetie. I will say that in my area of Southern California, I am seeing lots of BYB with Chocolates. There is a huge difference between these dogs and quality bred dogs. AND no way should the breeder charge more just because they are Chocolate that is silly.

There are a TON of chocolates in rescue here. I'm in Georgia...I know for a fact a lot come out of Alabama, too....

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

While Chocolates aren't rare, they are the least common of the 3 Lab colors. If all Labs had random matings unselected for color, Blacks would occur about 56% of the time, Yellows 25%, and Chocolates 19% of the time.

Black is dominant (just as is brown eyes in people) and Chocolate is recessive (just as blue eyes in people are). (Yellow is a special case, involving a different pair of recessive genes which over-rides Black or Chocolate characteristics.)

One can up the odds of getting Chocolate by selective, non-random breeding.

By proper selection of the mating pairs, you could obtain litters which would produce only Chocolates, or other mating pairs that would produce (over time, given enough litters) 50% Chocolates or even 25% Chocolates.

One can also eliminate the possibility of getting any Chocolates by selective, non-random breeding. (Labby and some other Lab breeders breed to get only Blacks and Yellows.)

The article below gives the various genetic combinations and the color outcomes:

http://www.labbies.com/genetics.htm
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Every week I see chocolates in our local shelter her in Oregon. We purchased Sammi from a breeder, but our next pup will be a rescue, just to many of them that need help out there. Keep looking I'm sure you'll find your forever pup soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast