Canada - Ontario - Important information for voting dog owners

Thread: Canada - Ontario - Important information for voting dog owners

DefaultCanada - Ontario - Important information for voting dog owners

Check Wag The Dog http://wagthedog.blogware.com/ for statements from candidates.

Also check Wag The Dog for the Canadian Kennel Club's official statement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The October issue of Dogs In Canada featured an article “Silence Speaks Volumes”, which focused on the upcoming election in Ontario. The article took some statements from Progressive Conservative MPP Jim Wilson out of context.

Jim kindly sent us a clarification which includes his firm stance toward fair laws for all responsible dog owners.

Jim has repeatedly spoken out against BSL and has stated his intent to work on amending the OSPCA Act (Ontario has the weakest provincial anti-cruelty laws in Canada) if re-elected. He has included Responsible Pet Ownership as one of his campaign issues. http://www.jimwilson.ca/issues.asp?id=10

Jim is a veteran MPP with the PC Party.

The Policy division of the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario has issued a statement on breed-specific legislation:

"We are in favour of ensuring sensible strong legislation with regard to dangerous dogs and irresponsible dog owners. Some experts have said the current law isn't very effective because it is breed-specific. We will welcome suggestions and recommendations on better ways to protect against vicious dogs.

In terms of timing, we must first earn the right to govern and then place this item on a list of competing priorities of all kinds. We also will not follow Dalton McGuinty's approach of rushing legislation through without proper consultation and consideration."

To read the statement in full please visit http://wagthedog.blogware.com/blog/_...1/3264601.html

We have the support of Progressive Conservative and NDP candidates in Ontario.

With the election almost upon us, we urgently encourage each and every dog owner (regardless of breed or mixed breed) in Ontario to vote to reclaim their rights on October 10. A vote against the Liberals is a step toward both restoring the rights of dog owners in this province and strengthening the OSPCA Act.

To find out more about how this issue relates to you as a voter in Ontario, please visit http://wagthedog.blogware.com/blog

You will find responses to our survey from numerous candidates across the province. We have information on voting strategically and up-to-the minute election information of interest to Ontario dog owners.

On October 10th PLEASE VOTE! PLEASE VOTE FOR YOUR RIGHT TO OWN YOUR BREED OR MIXED BREED OF CHOICE IN ONTARIO!

PLEASE VOTE AGAINST THE LIBERALS! PLEASE VOTE FOR THE MOST LIKELY CANDIDATE TO BEAT THE LIBERAL!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Canada - Ontario - Important information for voting dog owners

You're going to vote for a candidate (and party) based upon this alone? Hey, I love my dogs, but I'm certainly not going to base my politics solely upon a candidates pet project (pardon the pun). One issue voting makes no sense.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I love dogs and will not support BSL but will NEVER vote for ANY party based on ONE issue alone.

There are so many issues on the table. many many very important ones. And don't think that if the other parties get in they will actually make any changes to what has already passed.

Think twice before you vote and keep all the important issues in mind (Health, Education, Environment...).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

There is a lot going on in this election besides dogs.

I completely agree with what Tanya said.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

And I would love more than anyone to get rid of the BSL law, but if you read the Dogs In Canada article, there's a snowball's chance in hades of getting the law yanked regardless of which party makes the next gov't.

The best we can hope for now is for the law to be quietly fade, as being unenforceable (a few more lawsuits would hasten that)

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I'm a social worker. I'll vote PC when I don't care to work anymore. (which is not going to be soon.)

I'm also a pit advocate, but I agree with Nancy on the chances of getting the law revoked.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

If you read all posts of the OP, she's a bit of a one-trick pony herself on this forum. I get the feeling that we're being used as a sounding board for her pro-PC "Public Service Announcements". :-\