One Chocolate Lab available, Dead or Alive to the rescuer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Chocolate Lab available, Dead or Alive to the rescuer

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultOne Chocolate Lab available, Dead or Alive to the rescuer

This was going to be a fun post, now it is going to be a vent.

It is not like we ignore poor Hershey Kisses.
    6 am this morning, out for potty break in the rain, back in for breakfast. A trip with Dad over to the coffee shop and sit outside with him while he drinks it. Back home around 7:15
    8 am the rain is letting up. Hop in the car and off to the dog park for 2 hours. Spend time swimming and retrieving, run with Hunter and Duke and Chip, and more others than I can name. Back home around 11:00.
    Yip! Yap! Bark! Oh, shut up already.
    Noon: Out for a 2 mile walk,meet up with another Lab near an open field and have more run time. Another hour killed. Back home.
    2:00 Out for some recall training, a little bit of land retriving, about ahalf hour of heel. And she did great with all of it. Back inside.
    4:00 Another walk, 3 miles this time. No friends on the way. Actually got Dad to jog for two half miles. Dad almost died, but HK loved it.
    5:00 AMAZING, she is quiet. Oooops! She is eating. Not quiet anymore, she is finished.
    Mom suggests I bring something in for dinner. She calls it in. HK and Dad go to retrieve it. Back home, Mom and Dad sit down to eat, HK gets her Kong. Quiet!
    !5 minutes are up, Kong is empty.
    7:00-9:00 Toss balls around the family room to the kitchen, wrestle, work on extended sit/stay and down/stay. We have been up to 10 minutes, tonight it is about 45 seconds and bolts.
    9:00 She has not been good, but I need a break. She gets her frozen applesauce/kibble treat. She knows the routine and when she finishes it, she goes off to her bed. Nite, nite Dad!

Forgot, she found an apple while we were out.
    I like this apple.

That was a good apple

Not going to do this again tomorrow. Who wants her before I grind her up into sausage?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: One Chocolate Lab available, Dead or Alive to the rescuer

Sometimes you have to give you a break and Hershey's Kisses a time out. Sam needed that when we first got her. She came back from a walk with more energy than when she left. Sounds like HK's getting a lot of exercise, but maybe she doesn't realize she's tired. Sam got 10 minutes of crate time after her walk and came out a lot calmer.That's the only advice I have.

Now, when Sam talks to me and I'm not able to take her out or willing to play she gets put into a down stay and that stops the talking. (Sometimes we go for a walk and sometimes she gets a bickie to chew, but sometimes, I'm tired).

kaytris is offline Senior Member

how do you react when she barks?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

How old is she! I'm so glad Sammi is totally calm with a good walk and some play or training time. Wow your schdule would kill the common person! Is she always this busy

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    how do you react when she barks?
    That was going to be my ?

We have 2 barkers, yappers in our group. Owners give attention (even a small pat on the head is attention) when they bark, so they continue barking and yapping.

Love the apple shots btw

Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

amazongold is offline Senior Member

That sounds like a day in the life of Buddy! :-\

As long as I am on my feet doing something, anything, even just talking on the phone - he's fine. Will amuse himself, take a nap, whatever. But let me sit down to watch TV, read a book, get on the computer, talk on the phone, and it's "Whine, whimper. Yip. Yap! BARK! BARK! BARK!" > No matter how many walks we've had.

I used to make him go in his crate when he did that, but now we are trying the ignore tactic, turning our backs and not reacting. This is VERY hard as he seems to get pissed that we are ignoring him and barks even louder.

What else can you do? Any suggestions?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Dani is offline Senior Member

Boy, HK seriously has you trained.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Katies Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Boy, HK seriously has you trained.
    It looks like I am trained just as good as you by Katie. :-\ My problem is Katie is a talker, grumbler if she doesn't get her way with the bark. I can't handle her bark, it goes right thru me.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Sounds like HK needs a mental challenge to go with all the exercise to keep her tuckered out. That sounds like enough exercise to keep most any lab happy every day. I might try teaching a new trick/skill to make her "think tired." If you can get to the point of running long "back" piles in retriever training, or even "baseball", that will suck the energy right out of her! Sort of running wind sprints versus a more leisurely stroll. When we get a jumpy Ellie, its off to the empty lot on the corner to "run some piles." She loves it, and we get a sleepy dog!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Some of you have me figured out pretty well. The one that come closest is the reference to how well HK has me trained.

HK is usually pretty good. Yes she wants her attention and usually gets it, but she also usually understands, NO! to the barking. She also is pretty good at stay, Park it (My version of go to the closest dog bed), etc.

It was just that yesterday was impossible with her. DW and I talked tried to decide if we were just too tiired, if we fed her something stimulating, did we have different music playing, different TV program, did weuse different soep in the showers yesterday, anything we cold come up with to explain this incessant drive for attention. We came up blank, and the fact that she had gone to bed without being told, and was quiet while there???? Did she not get enough sleep the night before? We did have thunderstorms all night. Maybe she was too tired to realize she needed a rest.

Oh! Well! Our calendars this morning are kind of open. HK has already beed fed, out to the coffee shop, and is resting now. She is getting a bonus trip to the Dog Park this morning.

Hmmm!! Am I setting myself up for another day like yesterday?'

PS: If anyone actually tries to come and rescue HK, forget it. > I may have had to vent last night, but there is no way we are giving her up. olice:
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast