FURminator
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FURminator

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

DefaultFURminator

Do any of you have any experience with the FURminator? It looks like it could be a great deShedding product, but I would worry about it taking out too much fur.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Looking for an answer on this one. I picked one up for when my son's yellow comes over to visit. I swear that it is never done. Just keeps on taking out more and more fur. Is there some limit to how many strokes one should take on a given area?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Dexter Dogg is offline Senior Member

My wife has a work colleague who says it is brilliant. He has two labs.

Subscribing to this thread to get more opinions...

- Dave

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

NM Lab Lover is offline Senior Member

I really like the one we bought. I did not use it when they were little but once Abbey and Coco got to be about 6 months old I started using it regularly. It is very warm where we live so they started to shed in April or so. I do not push down hard; just run it gently and it does get out much of the loose hair. I go over them a couple of times until the hair coming out is less and less. They love it because it helps get rid of the itchy, loose hair. Then I go over them head to toe with a pin brush and curry brush. The last once gives them a massage of sorts and they both just relax and enjoy.

The one I bought has a yellow head for larger dogs. That is another reason I didn't use it when they were little. The curry brush and pin brush did a fine job on the little pups.
    Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Someone here (labby maybe?) mentioned that it breaks the coat. I also read on another board that it will take out too much hair and leave bald spots if over used.

Honestly, I've found a Zoom Groom and comb work the best.

labby is offline Senior Member

Yep it does cause outter coat problems. I use my furminator on my horse along with a shedding blade. I use the zoom groom on the dogs.

Laura

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    Someone here (labby maybe?) mentioned that it breaks the coat. I also read on another board that it will take out too much hair and leave bald spots if over used.

Honestly, I've found a Zoom Groom and comb work the best.
    That's what my line of thinking was. I looked at their website and saw how much fur was being taken out and wondered what the pets would look like after multiple uses. Eeep.

I've always used a Zoom Groom as well. They're awesome.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I use the Zoom Groom and a pin brush on Champ, the Furminator, Zoom Groom, and pin brush on Buddy. Bud's coat is different from Champ's and he doesn't shed loose hair much in the house, it has to be pulled out.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Melissa is offline Senior Member

Laura, I don't know if you'll pop back in here or not - Otis is shedding worse than he has in the 6 years that we've had him. He'll actually leave little clumps of hair around the house. When I get home at the end of the day, I can tell where he's laid on the floor because there's a black hue on that section of the carpet. Is that normal? Anyone?

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

labby is offline Senior Member

It doesn't sound "normal" Melissa. Any changes in food, energy levels, etc? I might do a full thyroid panel if one hasn't been done recently. Sometimes we'll see changes in the thyroid as a dog ages.

I've got some which are shedding a lot right now. I'm not sure if it's more coat to shed out or what, but I will do some bloodwork if it keeps up.

Laura

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast