mad as heck...another dog park story
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mad as heck...another dog park story

Defaultmad as heck...another dog park story

So let me start off by saying that I really like the "concept" of an off leash dog park. I even like bringing my dogs in when there are a bunch of responsible owners in there. But usually I avoid them because I find there is too much that can go wrong too fast and many owners check out when they get in there.

Today made my blood boil. I am writing this hoping somebody willplay devils advocate here and tell me that I am looking at things wrong or be able to explain the mentality of the two other owners that were in there.

Anyway, I walk by the dog park today (fenced in field...size of a softball field). I have not been in there in a while so a couple of the owners approach me as I am walking past the fence and we chat. I introduce them to Tanner who they have never met and they ask me if I am coming in. I tell them I probably am not because there are about 10 dogs in there now and if any of them show dominance to Morgan, Tanner gets protective and fights start. So after chatting for a bit, they convince me to come on in and try it out. My compromise, keep Tanner on leash...that way he cannot start anything because I am in control and he is right at my side....Oh Boy!

Anyway, we are in there for about 20 minutes, everything is fine. A couple of dogs came up and sniffed Tanner, he wanted to play...no dominance or aggression. Great so far. Then a lady comes in with her golden. He runs right past the other dogs to Tanner and starts to posture. I pull Tanner into my side in which case her dog attacks...Tanner defends. It broke up in two seconds because I was able to pull my dog away, grab hers by the collar and hold the two apart. She politely comes over and pulls her dog away. No problem.

15 minutes later...I am talking to one of the regulars, her dog comes over and flies into Tanner again. No warning this time. I pull Tanner away, her dog does not back off, I am trying to get him by the collar and having a hard time...Tanner gets a good hold on his paw, bites and makes a mark. She pulls her dog away and is looking at me with daggers. I explain that it was her dog's fault...mine was under my control and her dog started it. Anyway...I let it go.

10 minutes later, a guy comes in with a Staffie. He is a big boy. He comes over next to Tanner, they both sniff and go their own way. Ok...that worked well. Next time he comes over, he growls and flies into Tanner...I pull them both away from each other. The guy gets a hold of his dog, pulls him away from me then turns to me and says "Are you going to leave because I am not going to hold onto my dog forever". I look at him and said, "I am in full control of my dog, let your dog go but if he attacks unprovoked again, I am reporting you and your dog". So he lets his dog go. Another owner looks at me and says "You are not supposed to have your dog in here off leash anyway"...I looked at her and said, I have my dog on leash so I can have control of him"...she said "Well, if you need him on leash like that perhaps you should not be in here". I fire back "I have him on leash so if other dogs attack I can control him but you know what...I am going to leave". I am leaving, I call Morgan over and the Staffie attacks him. Again I pull them apart and walk away sputtering mad.

Ok...so am I missing anything here? Did I do something wrong? I had full control over Tanner at all times and he was attacked twice by two different dogs. Morgan was attacked by the same dog who just attacked Tanner. Both times I broke things up because the owners were not right there.

Hmmmm???

Can somebody shed some light into this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: mad as heck...another dog park story

I agree that you should not have your dog on leash while in an off leash dog park...it's asking for trouble. How does Tanner act if Morgan is not around? Does he play nicely with the other dogs?

Having your dog on leash while others are off leash sometimes provokes aggression. You shouldn't have had Tanner in there like that. It's called leash aggression.

I understand your reasoning but it really is a bad call to put your dog in a group of unleashed dogs while on a leash. If you don't want Tanner off leash but Morgan is ok, then keep Tanner outside, or don't take Tanner.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If it was an off leash park Tanner should have been off leash. Techincally if you take your leashed dog into an off leash park, it's fair game. If you were in an on leash only area and you had off leash dogs flying up to you, the other owners would be at fault. However, an off leash park is an off leash park and that is a totally different ball game.

Because Tanner was leashed he was probably very tense with the loose dogs running up to him. The other dogs picked up on his tense/negative body language and that resulted in the 'attacks'.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

It's wierd how the leash can start problems. You never see Cesar Milan taking dogs into his Kennel area and leaving them on leash. He walks in and drops the leash immediately.

Agree with others. Not to mention, if you get tense and show that in your body language or tighten up the leash, Tanner will tense up as well.

I am sorry this happened.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Okay, you don't need to hear it again.

I have seen agression against leashed dogs at off leash dog parks. I don't know why, maybe we need to ask the Dog Whisperer. In one case, a very small dog being on leash to 'protect it' was attacked. The owner of the attacker, broke it up. She then convinced the owner of the leashed small dog who was very upset and setting off to leave, to take her dog off leash. She explained that the issue would probably be solved. She didn't know why her dog attacked, it was out of character. It was amazing. The big dog came back, the little dog rolled over, the sniffing was completed and they ran off together playing.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

wow. I always thought having a dog on leash (with others off) would cause aggression coming from the dog ON LEASH. I never realized it could provoke the off leash dogs to come attack/provoke.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    wow. I always thought having a dog on leash (with others off) would cause aggression coming from the dog ON LEASH. I never realized it could provoke the off leash dogs to come attack/provoke.
    that's what I thought also.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

That is what I thought also. But I have sen it work the other way also. Where is Caesar when you need him to explain this?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast