Strategic Lab Moves....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strategic Lab Moves....

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

DefaultStrategic Lab Moves....

- The Strategic Stop: The Lab takes the lead trying to guess what room you are going into and stops quickly just before a room entrance, the favourite place is just before the bathroom doorway.

Result: Human stumbles forward almost on top of Lab, human has to go around the Lab the long route. Can be particularly hazardous at night.

The Stop Short: The Lab is called but being clever knows it is for something not fun (like food or play time).

Result: Lab will come as requested but will stop short a pace or two away from the human so the human has to make an effort to get at the Lab. This is most used in my case in the morning after the morning walk and before I am off to work. It's time to take the collar off, dog will come as called but stop short.

Snout In Bag: The Lab will happily greet the owner when owner comes home after shopping. Lab waits until owners guard is down and then sticks snout or whole head into shopping bag when owner least expects it.

Result: Owner almost topples over because grocery bag that weighed 5 pounds now weighs 20 pounds due to Lab snout and head being in bag. Lab assumes that their is something for him/her in bag (and more often than not they are right.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Strategic Lab Moves....

I know the stop short: That's the one just before the bath begins!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    Snout In Bag: The Lab will happily greet the owner when owner comes home after shopping. Lab waits until owners guard is down and then sticks snout or whole head into shopping bag when owner least expects it.

Result: Owner almost topples over because grocery bag that weighed 5 pounds now weighs 20 pounds due to Lab snout and head being in bag. Lab assumes that their is something for him/her in bag (and more often than not they are right.)
    DW has more trouble with this than I. Always comes in house at the end of the day with a purse, a briefcase, and a something else. Each one has to be carefully inspected by HK for potential explosive material, or anything edible.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I know the stop short REALLY well.

Always before cleaning the ears, putting on the collar (she hates it, likes to run naked), and putting on flea meds.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Snout in bag here !

labby is offline Senior Member

LOL those are good

Laura

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

The Forced Entry

The calculating lab waits until the house is full of dinner guests, and the long suffering owner has gone into the restroom, and closed the door to tend to personal matters. The calculating lab waits 20 seconds, and dives at full speed, jamming snout into the door seam, causing the restroom door to swing wide open to omit wiggling lab. This causes frantic door closing action and the emmision of loud sounds from the long suffering owner, much to the amusment of the departing wiggly lab.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

The Bashful Guest
    Again, house is full of guests. One visitor will make it plain upon entry: "I really don't like dogs." Lab will hear this as a challenge to 'win over' the reticent guest; therefore, he pesters her all night long, putting his snout into her backside when she stands and his head into her lap (thereby drooling on her slax) when she sits. And as luck would have it, she's wearing white.

Result - Guest departs quickly, thinking no better (in fact, worse) of dogs than when she arrived. Dog stands with nose pressed to screen door, tail waving her goodbye.

The Supervisory Resting Place
    During some activity of high-traffic, dog will position himself in the most inconvenient spot possible. When asked to move, he will find most-inconvenient spot #2 and lie there. E.g. - The house is in an uproar because there are 129 grocery bags to ferry in and put away. Lab will first lie in the doorway, under the guise of maintaining order and ensuring that said bags contain required amounts of kibble/treats. When shooed away from this position and told to go supervise elsewhere, Lab will lay in front of the refrigerator. When vacated there, he will lay in front of the pantry door. Each relocation is done with the speed of a moving glacier and accompained by a frustrated SSSSSSIIIIGGGGHHHH as the dog lumbers on.

Result - The grocery put-away task takes 10x longer than usual, possibly even delaying dog's dinner, which is a tragedy beyond compare.

The Kitchen Assistant
    When person is trying to cook a meal, the lab will stand between that person and the counter trying to prevent choice morsels from falling to the floor (preventive maintenance for clean-up time). When told to move, the lab will lay immediately behind the person in order to be close in case the person needs him.

Result: Person steps backwards onto/into lab. Lab jumps up to move aside as person simultaneously stumbles and also tries to move aside. Inevitably both person and lab try to move to the same spot and a brief flailing dance ensues. Dance often results in spilling of food which lab views as a reward for a job well done.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish

Yikes... do I know this one! Lexi greets me at the door whenever I come in from being out. If that trip happens to be out shopping, her snout & head go immediately into whichever bag she can reach. So not only am I trying to maneuver around her, but I then have to contend with her snarfling in the bag for anything I may have for her.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast